Thumbnail images in the Basemap widget do not appear in my web app

Jump to solution
09-12-2019 09:24 PM
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

I have a  web app (built using the AGOL Web App Builder). The web app is shared with my organization (it is not public). I have added the Basemap widget, using four of ESRI's standard basemaps. In the Web App Builder interface, the thumbnail images for the basemaps correctly show up in the basemap widget.

The problem is that when I view the web app in a browser (not in the Web App Builder), the thumbnail images in the basemap widget do not appear. All I get is just four blank rectangles indicating where the thumbnails should load into. The functionality of the basemap widget is fine - when I click on one of the blank rectangles, it does in fact switch the basemap in the map display to the chosen basemap.

In my troubleshooting, I shared the web app with "everyone" (made it available to the public). With the app shared publicly, the thumbnail images do in fact appear in the basemap widget. So that's cool, but we don't want to share this app with everyone, just our organization. But if I share it with only our organization, then the thumbnail images in the basemap widget do not show up.

So it seems that this issue is related to some sort of permission/sharing problem. I have no idea how to solve this. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

This issue was a known bug in AGOL. Today's ESRI update to ArcGIS Online has fixed this issue, so all is well. The basemap thumbnail images now correctly show in the Basemap Gallery for web apps that require an enterprise login.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

Here's a bit more information that I didn't include in my original message:

When I look at the URL for one of the thumbnail images in the Basemap widget, this is what it shows:

https://fws.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/6a26447602564e6b8d33847515797e9a/resources/in... 

When I enter just  https://fws.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/6a26447602564e6b8d33847515797e9a/resources/in...  into a web browser, I get the following message:

ArcGIS Portal Directory
Error

You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.

Error: 403

So for some reason, my Web app does not have permission to access the Basemap widget thumbnails that are stored with the Web app.

My Web app is shared with our organization, and in order to view it, users have to log in with their organization AGOL account. So even though they can log in to our organization's AGOL account successfully, the web app still thinks the user doesn't have permission to view the thumbnail images for the Basemap widget.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

This issue was a known bug in AGOL. Today's ESRI update to ArcGIS Online has fixed this issue, so all is well. The basemap thumbnail images now correctly show in the Basemap Gallery for web apps that require an enterprise login.

0 Kudos
RossCBrewer
New Contributor III

I have a web app that requires an enterprise login, and the Basemap Gallery still doesn't show thumbnails, even after the Oct 2nd, 2019 update.

0 Kudos
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

This is probably a long shot, but I wonder if what you're seeing is a browser cache issue. Maybe try clearing your web browser's cache and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
DougKnight
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a workaround to this?  I see the same behavior on Enterprise 10.7 stack. When everything is public I can see the thumbnails.  When I share with a group I dont get the thumbnails

0 Kudos
MiriEshel
New Contributor III

Hello Doug,

Did you get an answer for your question? We encountered the same behavior ......

Thanks,

Miri

0 Kudos
DougKnight
New Contributor II

I did not.  I tried everything.  Aside from making it public I cannot get the default esri thumbnails to show up.  It looks pretty cheap to my end users.  I suppose I could load and maintain internal thumbnails for them, but I feel like we pay for that with our license and this is a bug.  I really dont have the time to commit to that any time soon

0 Kudos
RossCBrewer
New Contributor III

Despite the bug implementation 7 months ago, I'm still getting broken links to thumbnails when logged in via enterprise logins...

LukeFawcett1
New Contributor II

I'm running into the same issue as the OP in enterprise. App built with Web AppBuilder, chose a couple standard Esri basemaps to add to the basemap gallery widget. The functionality is fine, but the thumbnails don't appear. Unable to share the app publicly. Not a huge issue, but I agree it looks "cheap."