There was an error publishing the service.

02-08-2023 02:59 PM
SamanthaEarnest1
New Contributor III

I have created a feature layer from an Excel spreadsheet. I spent a lot of time adding multiple attachments (photos) to each point in the layer after it was created. I then made a Web Map and Instant App using the layer. This worked fine for several weeks. I need to update the layer now, but I am unable to do so because I keep getting the message, "There was an error publishing the service." when I click on the feature layer in my Contents area. I am unable to access any settings for the layer. I have tried deleting the layer from the Web Map, but I still get the error message. I am able to add it back to the Web Map with no problem, and the data is all still visible in the Web Map; I just can't access the feature layer itself in order to edit it. This is the second time I have had this same issue.  I cannot afford the time involved to recreate the layer a third time.

My question is: is there a known issue that would cause a hosted feature layer to cease being editable after either a certain length of time, or a certain number of interactions with the layer (number of views or clicks on the popups?) Why can't I go back in and edit this layer, when I've been able to before? I don't believe it's anything to do with the size of the layer (size or number of photos) because it has been working and the file size has not changed. 

4 Replies
VojtěchAndrš
New Contributor II

Hello, I have the same issue. Feature layer used in Dashboards, works fine for some time and then this error quote appears with no possibility to go into data or settings tab. Have you found any solution besides recreating the layer?

JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I have the same error!!!  I made a bunch of new layers to update for a major project, but now they cause this error!

I can config the layers INSIDE the map...but that is not good enough. And, when I created the layers, I set up default viz and filters using the tabs on the layer. Now the other tabs like DATA and VISUALIAZATION don't even appear!

Since there are others with the same issue, it MUST have been some kind of data error on the webservers?

Any idea how to fix without losing the work on config of these layers? I did around 6 or 8 over a couple of days, and they all are dead now.

WE MUST HAVE A FIX!

0 Kudos
FayGlunt
New Contributor III

We are getting this error now too.  And, we have an important demo tomorrow.  Any solution to this error?

0 Kudos
SamanthaEarnest1
New Contributor III

BUG-000149005 : Feature services which are successfully published from XLS files return an undefined error about 2 weeks after the initial publish when accessed by the item owner or admin. As an alternative workaround, assisted user to create a replica (a file geodatabase) from the REST endpoint of the service to save attachments from a hosted feature service. Then, published the .fgdb in ArcGIS Online as new hosted feature layer and removed the old layer and added the new one to the web map and user was able to edit without any issues. Related Documentation: 1. https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012232#:~:text=Procedure.%201%20Log%20in%20to%20the...

0 Kudos