Terrain:Hillshade issue in PDF exports from ArcMap 10.5

Jump to solution
02-01-2018 02:16 PM
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

We use this Terrain: Hillshade layer from AGOL (and use the Grayscale_Hillshade Processing Template) all the time in ArcMap 10.5 for our maps (from letter to poster-sized maps). Starting just last week (on Jan 22) we've seen two instances (both in 34x44 maps) of that layer not appearing in PDF exports at 1:2 300dpi or higher (but will show up if we export to PDF at 1:2 200dpi, which isn't always ideal). Has anyone else seen this issue or have advice? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi All,

I spoke with the team who runs the elevation server where the terrain:hillshade is hosted and they have confirmed that there is a 5000row by 5000column export limit on the image services on this server.  These image services are dynamic image services specifically designed for facilitating analysis and visualization for local areas, not promote large exports and downloads.

Their suggestion is to use a higher performant cached map service - World Hillshade.  World Hillshade is the same as the multi-directional hillshade raster function on the elevation server.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Lindsay,

I'll reach out to you privately to see if you can send me your PDF files?  We'll take a look and test from our end.

Thanks for the question.

Regards,

Doug

0 Kudos
Field_StaffAlta
New Contributor

Hi Mr. Cochran, I'm having the exact same issue as Lindsay - any solutions available at this time? Thanks - Steve

0 Kudos
MikeSkoko1
New Contributor

I am having the same issue also. Please help. -Mike

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mike SkokoField Staff AltaLindsay Withers

Please open a Support case for this so we can thoroughly investigate these reports. When you do so please reference this GeoNet post.

If you are outside the US please contact your distributor.

0 Kudos
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Katie for for suggestion to open a case.  Lindsay, thank you for sending the map examples that indicate the problem, I'll make sure the Customer Support team gets them.

0 Kudos
JohnMiley
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue with the Terrain dataset (not the hillshade, just straight terrain). When exporting, I also get a blank file. I have tried several different file formats to export to (tiff, jpg, pdf, eps) with no effect. My preferred export settings are 300 dpi, 8 bit palette tiff. I have a workaround: export the data, rather than the map, match the symbology for the exported tiff and then export the map. It is clunky and less than ideal, but does get the job done. I do have a support ticket opened on this (#02062244), but no luck so far in resolving it. Also, I'm using 10.6. The issue began while i was using 10.5, and I upgraded as part of my troubleshooting before I opened the ticket.

0 Kudos
MikeSkoko1
New Contributor

I tired to export the data (hillshade) as well, but apparently the area of

export was too large. I did find a link for a method of creating your own

multi-directional hillshade from a terrain model. I just downloaded the DEM

from the USGS.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=403a846855f14539a2c15ff09398e8e5

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi All,

I spoke with the team who runs the elevation server where the terrain:hillshade is hosted and they have confirmed that there is a 5000row by 5000column export limit on the image services on this server.  These image services are dynamic image services specifically designed for facilitating analysis and visualization for local areas, not promote large exports and downloads.

Their suggestion is to use a higher performant cached map service - World Hillshade.  World Hillshade is the same as the multi-directional hillshade raster function on the elevation server.