Syncing Feature Services

Jump to solution
07-22-2014 11:42 AM
LauraGiboo
New Contributor III

I am aware that there are two ways to publish feature services for mobile editing.

1. Through ArcGIS online

2. Through our own server

When I publish through ArcGIS online, I have the option to sync when I am in the properties on AGOL, however when I publish feature services onto our server, that option isn't available.  Is there an easy way to sync field edits from the server published feature service or is the only way to see the field edits and create additional edits in office through creating a local copy?

Thanks for the clarification.

Laura

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Laura,

When editing an ArcGIS Server feature service with Collector for ArcGIS or a mobile app, the edits are pushed back to the server as soon as the user submits them.  What the sync capability does is it allows for offline editing.  For example, you can download a web map onto your mobile device using Collector for ArcGIS.  You can then edit make edits offline (no WiFi or cellular connection).  When you do have a WiFi or cellular connection, you can then sync the edits back to the ArcGIS.com hosted or ArcGIS Server feature service.

Note:  this functionality is only available for ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 feature services or ArcGIS.com hosted feature services

View solution in original post

6 Replies
TomEarp
New Contributor III

In 10.2.2 If you view the service in ArcGIS Server Manager you can see the option to sync by clicking on the service, then capabilities then feature service.

0 Kudos
LauraGiboo
New Contributor III

So in 10.1 there is no other option to sync to server except for creating local copy?

0 Kudos
TomEarp
New Contributor III

Editing a feature service in ArcMap in both 10.1 and 10.2 works the same way, by creating a local copy.

0 Kudos
LauraGiboo
New Contributor III

And another questions kind of different that I have recently run into:

I just upgraded to 10.2.1.  When I try to publish a service to AGOL, I get the error "packaging succeeded but publishing failed.  Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)".  A coworker in my office is still on 10.1x and published the same way I was trying to and it worked for them.  Do you happen to know if there is a bug with publishing services to AGOL using 10.2.1

0 Kudos
TomEarp
New Contributor III

Laura, I'm not sure but it seems like you have already found this thread with some possible workarounds/soultions:Can't publish service to ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Laura,

When editing an ArcGIS Server feature service with Collector for ArcGIS or a mobile app, the edits are pushed back to the server as soon as the user submits them.  What the sync capability does is it allows for offline editing.  For example, you can download a web map onto your mobile device using Collector for ArcGIS.  You can then edit make edits offline (no WiFi or cellular connection).  When you do have a WiFi or cellular connection, you can then sync the edits back to the ArcGIS.com hosted or ArcGIS Server feature service.

Note:  this functionality is only available for ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 feature services or ArcGIS.com hosted feature services