Symbology from REST service not updating in AGOL map

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 07:29 AM
Labels (1)
OlyPowers
New Contributor III

I have REST service that feeds several layers in an AGOL web map. One of the layers has 500+ features that need to be individually symbolized. Because of this we've chosen to symbolize them on the desktop side, instead of symbolizing them from AGOL. New features are constantly being added to this layer and need to show up on the map with their own unique symbology. We refresh the symbology and then republish the service. On the AGOL side, the new features show up, but they have the generic default (all other values) symbology, instead of the unique symbology they should have.

What have I done wrong here?

What it should look like:

OlyPowers_0-1649946268419.png

What it DOES look like:

OlyPowers_1-1649946302026.png

If I re-add the layer to the map, it "fixes" it, but there are filters and other edits made to the layer. That layer also feeds a dashboard, and I would have to reconfigure the dashboard each time a change is made, which is not going to happen.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your web map stores its own symbology settings, so the JSON definition of the map itself would need to reflect the changes you've made to the underlying service.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your web map stores its own symbology settings, so the JSON definition of the map itself would need to reflect the changes you've made to the underlying service.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
OlyPowers
New Contributor III

You are correct.

I'm putting a definition Query on the data so that I can symbolize it from AGOL instead.

0 Kudos