Switching our ArcGIS Online org's Primary Map Viewer setting - need more info for planning

12-08-2022 01:08 PM
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

Our ArcGIS Online org's "Primary map viewer" setting is currently "Map Viewer Classic" but I've given our ~450 org users advance notice we'd like to change in in Jan 2023 to "Map Viewer".  As our org admin, I'd like to understand more about what happens when we make that org-wide change. Once the change is made, does that mean that org members' "Primary map viewer" option in their own account settings will also default to "Map Viewer" at that time and they'll need to set it to "Map Viewer Classic" if they want that instead as their own default, or will their account setting stay at whatever option they've previously specified prior to the change?  i.e. I'm trying to better understand the impact from the change and how some of our web map/app developers may need to advise their own specific app users about whether they'll need to change their account settings.  Thanks.

4 Replies
JimWooten
Occasional Contributor

Hi Will;

One thing you may notice when you switch to "New" Map Viewer is absence of the "Analysis" function.  I'm told by ESRI that that function will become available in Q1 2023 but you should check with your rep to confirm.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Will
by

Thanks, I'm aware of various links and posts regarding functionality difference between the 2 viewers, I'm just concerned with what happens to individual users' own map viewer preference settings and if that changes at the same time. 

0 Kudos
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hi Will, thanks for the question--the direct answer is "both..."
Once you make Map Viewer the primary default for the whole organization, two conditions will be true:
1. Users whose default is presently Map Viewer Classic and who have never explicitly set their individual default (i.e. never switched their primary viewer to Map Viewer and then back to Classic) will become Map Viewer as a default
2. Users who have explicitly set their individual default will remain as they are--whether Map Viewer Classic or Map Viewer
The goal from our team's perspective was to ensure as little disruption as possible, so only those users who  have never explicitly selected a default viewer are impacted. 

I hope this is helpful; please let me know if you have any clarifying questions or comments. 

Will
by

Thanks, so we did the Org switch (Map Viewer is now default instead of Map Viewer Classic) about a week ago, and now our users are unable to take web maps offline that they were able to previously.. this appears to be an Org-wide problem..  any suggested fix (needed ASAP!).  Thanks

0 Kudos