Survey123 fails to publish due to repeat question related table

Jump to solution
10-11-2020 06:00 AM
ColinDaniel
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to publish a survey that includes a repeat group for a select_one type question, but it will not publish because it cannot find the submission_url for the related table (which I assumed would be created in the process of publishing the survey). I keep receiving the following error when attempting to publish:

"The custom feature service submission_url is not compatible with this survey. Table XXX not found". 

I don't feel like what I'm trying to do is very difficult, yet I cannot find any documentation that answers my question. And I can't figure out how to add a related table to my feature layer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Colin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, I see what is going on. Publishing a survey with a repeat group to an existing hosted feature layer will not create a related table for the hosted feature layer because it cannot change the existing schema of the hosted feature layer. 

Here are two options you can try:

1) Instead of publishing the survey to an existing hosted feature layer, create a new hosted feature layer when you publish the survey and the new hosted feature layer will have a related table by default since the survey has a repeat group.

2) If you need to use the existing hosted feature layer then you can use ArcGIS Pro to add a table to the hosted feature layer. You can do this by following these steps...

1. In ArcGIS Pro, export your hosted feature layer data to a file geodatabase (right click layer>Data>Export Features)
  2. Add GlobalID field to the data layer inside the file geodatabase (right click data layer inside file geodatabase>Manage>Add GlobalID)
  3. Create new table in the file geodatabase with any fields your table requires plus a GlobalID and GUID field
  4. Use the Create Relationship Class Tool with the data layer as the Origin, the table as the Destination, One to Many as the Cardinality, GlobalID as the Primary Key, and GUID as the Foreign Key.
  5. Finally, in the Share tab of ArcGIS Pro, click the Web Layer dropdown and use the Overwrite Web Layer tool to overwrite your hosted feature layer so it that now includes a related table.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Colin,

Does the name in the form_id column in the Settings tab of your spreadsheet match the name of the layer within your Feature Layer? 

For instance, in the screenshot below, since the actual layer in my "Hydrants_Chien" feature layer is called "Hydrants" then the name in my form_id column needs to be "Hydrants" as well instead of "Hydrants_Chien". 

If they aren't matching, then it results in the message, "The custom feature service submission_url is not compatible with this survey. Table XXX not found" when you try and publish your survey. 

0 Kudos
ColinDaniel
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response! Yes, the form_id column in my survey does match the polygon layer in my ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer. However, my hosted feature layer only has the polygon layer, not a related table to go with. I was under the impression that this would be created for me in ArcGIS Online upon publishing of my survey (since I see no way to add a table to a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online), but is appears that this is not the case.

I also tried creating a separate hosted table in ArcGIS Online (with same name as my repeat) and putting its form_title, form_id, and submission_url information in the settings tab in my XLS form. Still no luck. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Colin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, I see what is going on. Publishing a survey with a repeat group to an existing hosted feature layer will not create a related table for the hosted feature layer because it cannot change the existing schema of the hosted feature layer. 

Here are two options you can try:

1) Instead of publishing the survey to an existing hosted feature layer, create a new hosted feature layer when you publish the survey and the new hosted feature layer will have a related table by default since the survey has a repeat group.

2) If you need to use the existing hosted feature layer then you can use ArcGIS Pro to add a table to the hosted feature layer. You can do this by following these steps...

1. In ArcGIS Pro, export your hosted feature layer data to a file geodatabase (right click layer>Data>Export Features)
  2. Add GlobalID field to the data layer inside the file geodatabase (right click data layer inside file geodatabase>Manage>Add GlobalID)
  3. Create new table in the file geodatabase with any fields your table requires plus a GlobalID and GUID field
  4. Use the Create Relationship Class Tool with the data layer as the Origin, the table as the Destination, One to Many as the Cardinality, GlobalID as the Primary Key, and GUID as the Foreign Key.
  5. Finally, in the Share tab of ArcGIS Pro, click the Web Layer dropdown and use the Overwrite Web Layer tool to overwrite your hosted feature layer so it that now includes a related table.
ColinDaniel
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

Tried the first option and it worked! Not essential for me to keep use the preexisting hosted feature layer. Thank you so much!