summarize center and dispersion - what is centerX centerY?

Jump to solution
01-29-2020 08:13 AM
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

When I run the ArcGIS Online analysis tool "Summarize Center and Dispersion" it creates an ellipse layer that looks pretty good... but instead of having latitude and longitude, it has fields "centerX" and "centerY" ... which are numbers that don't make sense. I'm not sure what the units are, and exactly what they mean?

See the screenshot for example:

What do CenterX and CenterY mean?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They are probably the center coordinates in a Web Mercator projection which is probably the projection of the map

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

This is my suspicion - but - and I'm a little naive on this - the X being -11,555,889.34 ... I'm not sure how to convert that to a usable coordinate... for example. That number seems too big. 11.5 million meters?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Its somewhere by the new mexico/Texas border by that coordinate in WM.

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

That's right. My issue is that I need to be able to dynamically pull a coordinate pair out of the feature that I can feed into Ops Dashboard. I'm not clear how to convert -11.5 million for centerX into decimal degrees.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

I tried the math and it looks like it will work but something about the math is a little off... Latitude should be around -110, and the math in the link was making it come out around -71.... odd. Need to look more. But this is definitely what I was looking for.

0 Kudos