Select to view content in your preferred language

Storymaps won't load unless logged in... and even then not every time.

12-16-2022 11:13 AM
ZachariahSelley
New Contributor

Help!

I made a very basic storymap with just text and pulling one map. It works on mobile devices just fine, but on desktop I just get the...

Hmm... there seems to be an issue: There was a problem accessing this story or this page. Please try again or contact your ArcGIS administrator.

Everything is set to Public, though as a free account I don't have many options to change things anyway. Can anyone test or tell me what is happening?

Thanks much... here is the link. 

https://arcg.is/1ibOGW0

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I did a quick reality check on your story and had no issues opening it in several different browsers. The one browser I did not try is Safari...

To start, I'd suggest doing the obvious - clear your browser cache and try again.

BTW - I like your use of the OSM blueprint basemap with your red symbols...

0 Kudos
ZachariahSelley
New Contributor

Thanks much, good to know others can see it. I stripped out some layers from the blueprint map trying to see if one of them was the problem. It may just be on my computer? I don't know why though. If I'm not logged in, the public URL won't load in any browser even after clearing all cache

thanks for looking!

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

That is mysterious. If I can view your public story then anyone should be able to. I am viewing it anonymously like anyone would, and am not signed in to my account. 

I'm also confused by how you stripped layers from the OSM Blueprint basemap. It's a single vector tile basemap layer so you would have had to use the Vector Tile Style Editor. If you somehow did (not sure if that's even possible in a public account) then I would suggest using the "vanilla" OSM Blueprint basemap instead in your map, then updating your story.

0 Kudos
ZachariahSelley
New Contributor

Great question, Not sure what I did but opening blueprint in arc I think there was a non essential basemap or something... not sure and I am no expert. My focus was just making sure it was public shared. As for the loading it's still an issue on my computer, and it's driving me insane. 

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

It seems that "z blueprint" is the map you are using in your story. I can tell that you added the OSM Blueprint layer to your basemap, which was originally the default World Topographic basemap. So I'm figuring you removed World Topo layers to leave just the OSM Blueprint layer visible.

That said, I can open your z blueprint map just fine anonymously. See if you can open z blueprint successfully outside the context of your story.

But all things considered, I'd just rebuild your z blueprint map by setting the OSM Blueprint as your basemap. You can do that by searching in Living Atlas in Map Viewer, find the OSM Blueprint layer, then click on the title and look for the Use as basemap button at the bottom of the pane. If you do this to your existing z blueprint map, you won't need to change your story.

More info on your hardware and browser might also yield some insights, but I'm having no issues as an anonymous user viewing your story or your z blueprint map.

0 Kudos