Select to view content in your preferred language

Stacked Symbols in ArcGIS Online - (Hatch & Fill)

12-04-2023 04:49 PM
MattReeves_SpokaneValley
New Contributor III

I have a stacked symbol in ArcGIS Pro (3.1.4) that is rather simple. A solid fill polygon, with a hatched fill polygon on top. When I publish this to ArcGIS Online, the symbol is simplified, and the solid fill polygon is removed.  Is this a new change? I have old map services that I haven't touched for a good while that have this configuration in their setup for older WebApp Builder applications.

I've included 2 examples:

'PaleYellow_Fill' is a screen shot from an old map service in an older WebApp Builder application.

'PaleYellow_FillStripped' is a new map service as published today. (Dec 4th 2023)

If this is a new change, does anyone have a good technique for maintaining the stacked symbology? 

Matt Reeves
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SamLee2023
New Contributor II

Have you tried tinkering with the Layer Properties in settings?

Here's some documentation. Hope it helps.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-unable-to-select-the-fill-option-when-specifyi...

0 Kudos
MattReeves_SpokaneValley
New Contributor III

I have not tried this. I will give it a go and report back. Thank you for the suggestion.

Matt Reeves
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Webapp builder wont support complex symbols. If you use experience builder or instant apps do you see the symbol draw correctly?

0 Kudos
MattReeves_SpokaneValley
New Contributor III

The irony, is that the stacked symbology is working in an old WebApp Builder app coming from an internal server map service (on an 11.2 server), but it is being stripped down to only the top hatched layer when publishing from ArcGIS Pro 3.1.4 to ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature. I'd prefer this particular high traffic service to be hosted, so I am not sure if AGOL Feature Layers cannot support stacked labels? Like I say, its essentially a solid fill polygon underneath, and a cross hatched polygon on top.

Matt Reeves
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup this is supported and would be written to the item details page. When sharing the feature layer from Pro make sure this is unchecked Use symbol types compatible with all clients in the sharing pane.  You will need to use Map Viewer, Experience Builder, Dashboards, Instant Apps and StoryMaps to view these stacked symbols. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/sharing/overview/configure-web-feature-layer.htm

You can also publish this symbol as a web style to your org and use it to style that layer + others

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/symbol-styler-using-complex-symbols-...

0 Kudos
MattReeves_SpokaneValley
New Contributor III

Thank you! I see that when I share a Web Map, the symbology is preserved inside of the Web Map on ArcGIS Online, but the Web Feature Layer by itself does not preserve the symbology. I see that this is because the symbology is tied to the Web Map.  I guess what I'll do, is configure the Map on ArcGIS Pro to replicate the current Web Map I am consuming inside my esri application, and then re-direct the application to point to this newly published web map. That will work.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Matt Reeves
0 Kudos