Sharing Limitation of ArcGIS web map and web app

08-21-2023 04:53 AM
No_one
by
New Contributor II

Hi everybody,

I have a web map called XXX, and I used the web map XXX to make a web app called YYY in the ArcGIS online environment.

What I need to do is share the web app with my organization while keeping my web map private (I don't want anyone else to read or update it).

Problem: Because the web map is private, my web app's map does not receive a feed.

Can the aforementioned issue be resolved inside the ArcGIS online environment itself?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's really no way to do that. If the map isn't shared, the app can't be either. Or if the app were loaded, it would immediately hit an error when it tries to load the configuration of the map, and that file is inaccessible to the user.

Unless the map is shared with a group that has shared updating enabled, nobody else will be able to update your map, so that's not really an issue. Are there things in the map that are somehow sensitive?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

What you're experiencing is by design, if the web map is private, then it will not be visible to anyone who does not have access, even when consumed within a web app.

Is there a reason that you would need the web map private but the web app public? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
No_one
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am sharing my web map and web app to my group only. I don't want the group members to  have editing rights. The reason is some members in the group do editing, modifying and removing the layer in web map without my knowledge that makes lot of confusion. That's why I want web map private and web app public.

0 Kudos