Select to view content in your preferred language

Seeking Advice: Best Method for Updating existing Point Feature Layer adding new Excel data

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 01:31 PM
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor II

I have a feature layer in ArcGIS Online comprising 5,000 points, each with 10 data fields. This layer includes a field with a unique value for each point/row. It originated from an Excel file provided by my boss, which contained only 5 data fields. In ArcGIS Pro, I added five additional fields to record data not present in the original spreadsheet, filling in various values as needed.

I have now received an updated version of the Excel file, which still contains only 5 data rows. My boss has updated some data for the existing 5,000 points and added an additional 1,000 points. The unique ID values for the existing 5,000 points remain unchanged, and the new 1,000 points each have a unique ID.

What is the best way to update my ArcGIS Online feature layer? I attempted an append in ArcGIS Pro, but it failed because the schema of the current Excel file doesn't match that of the feature layer.

So, what is the correct method for updating data for my existing 5,000 points and adding 1,000 new points, while still retaining the five additional fields of data on my first 5,000 points?

The current web feature layer is extensively used in numerous ArcGIS Online maps and dashboards with popups, etc. I would prefer not to set up everything again with a completely new feature layer when all I really need to do is update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro Append but use the field map parameters to align the new data to the original fields. Remove extra fields, they'll be blank.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro Append but use the field map parameters to align the new data to the original fields. Remove extra fields, they'll be blank.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm

0 Kudos
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for your response. I admit I didn't fully understand the append tool before using it. I'm attaching the screenshot below to help anyone who might encounter the same issue I did.ARCGIS.png