Running out of RAM while drawing a scene.

01-25-2020 06:46 PM
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a local scene using parcel data. Using a particular attribute, I extrude each parcel. This particular map has almost 390k parcels and when it attempts to draw the extruded layer, both my RAM and video RAM max out and ArcGIS crashes. Is there anyway I can get this to work?

I have 16 GB of RAM and 2 GB of video RAM. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.3.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Trying to extrude polygons based on an attribute is super expensive.  I have a machine with 32 gb ram and a 4 gb gpu and it's not enough to render my 290k+ parcels on say the justified valuation field.  If you have 3D analyst you can run a Feature to 3D by value and that helps the extrusion.  I'd start with a sample and see what extrusion type works best and/or what kind of scaling you might need to apply.  Of course if you can find another way by all means....

0 Kudos
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I tried Feature to 3D. There are many parcels missing and parcels are being displayed multiple times.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yeah that's where you have to work with the type of extrusion to see what works.  I used max value, it still can't render them all but it did start to show them as 3d blocks.  That's where maybe a smaller sample would help.  But I gave up on it because I don't think a 3d like this communicates very well.  I would maybe try with the parcel centroids on some value

0 Kudos
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

After rendering, does ArcGIS give up the RAM? Maybe if I break it up into several layers I can get it to render them all.

What do you mean by parcel centroids?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I don't know, probably.  I don't think breaking up the layer helps.  What does help is setting the 3D scale to no larger than 10,000 ft-height.  I mean take the centroid of the parcel and render the point as a 3D shape based on your value.

0 Kudos