Restrict user access to ArcGIS Online feature service by extent

Jump to solution
05-12-2017 02:12 AM
JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

Is it possible to limit access to an ArcGIS Online feature service for a given user or group using a specified extent?

For example, if we have a feature service with worldwide coverage, can we restrict a specific user or group to only be able to access features within their region (eg. UK). It would be very useful to be able to specify for that user/group the rectangular extent (or even better a polygon geometry) of features that they are able to access.

The feature service will be used in ArcMap, so doing this client-side would not really be an option. The only way I can currently think of doing this is by using a proxy and having the proxy check the user/group and then apply a geometry filter to the feature layer queries.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Regards

John

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnFannon
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you have an attribute in your hosted feature service that indicates the area, I guess you could apply Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

JohnFannon

Thanks for this suggestion - I've taken a look at this and it looks like it could be an option and avoids the need for a proxy.

It looks like you can set a filter on the view based on attributes, but not geometry. You can also set the extent of the view, but that doesn't seem to limit access to features outside the extent.

It would still be useful to limit access using a geometric extent.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback fannonj

Consider posting this idea on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=6fcdd6eb-8c8f-471e-8a83-1436d96...‌ so others can upvote the idea. For now, you will need to have an attribute based filter to enforce access to layers using views.

-Kelly

JohnFannon

Now added to ArcGIS Ideas:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13470 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting the link. Just voted!

0 Kudos