Restrict editing to authorized users while leaving the map viewable to the public

11-21-2013 04:43 AM
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Occasional Contributor II
I've created a service that will be made available to the public which expects to see fairly regular updates.  Unfortunately, now that I've created the dataset it's leaving my hands, and the group that plans on making the updates doesn't have anyone with ArcMap on their computer, thus any updates would have to go through an ArcGIS Online map.  I know I can configure a service to allow editing, but my concern is that ANYONE (with the know-how) could also edit the service and make unwanted changes.  I also know I can allow access only to a private group, but then the public can't view the service.

Is there a way to limit the editing capabilities to certain people, while keeping the service viewable to the public?  I was thinking there might be a way to create a separate version of the service with editing capabilities, open it to a private group, and synch the public version of the service to the private version, but I'm not sure if that's possible.
Tags (2)
47 Replies
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
There is a way to do this.  Whoever is going to be editing a hosted feature layer, make them the owner of that layer.  Disable editing on the web map and hosted feature layer.  Then you can share the web map publicly and no one else can edit it.  Except an Admin of course.  I just did it and it works.
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
Oh and I forgot to mention that the person doing the editing can be a User and not an Admin.  Just make the User the owner of the hosted feature layer.
0 Kudos
larrycamp
New Contributor III
... make the User the owner of the hosted feature layer.
How do you do this?
0 Kudos
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
I have a map showing areas for recycle pickups.  I did it this way.  I invited the person I wanted to do the editing and set them up as a User.  Then, I uploaded a zip file and created a hosted feature layer.  I edited the details for the hosted feature layer and disabled editing and saved it. Then, created a web map and added the hosted feature layer and shared the map publicly.  I then went in again to edit the details for the hosted feature layer and changed the owner to the person I invited(my editor).  Done. Now, when the editor wants to edit, they login to AGOL, click My Content, they click the arrow to the right of its name and choose to open it in a map with full editing. When they are finished editing, they click the arrow to the right of the layer and choose to Save Layer.  They close out the web map without saving it.
0 Kudos
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
Anyone try my solution?  Of course, you can only have one owner but it does work.
0 Kudos
DevinBartley
New Contributor II
Shawn,

I have tried your solution and it works. But the problem for me is that the since the layer has changed owner, I (The administrator) cannot view that layer anymore. Is there a way for an administrator to view all layers even if she is not the owner of those layers? Seems like there is no way to go back once the owner has changed.

Patricia
0 Kudos
MirBBenesov
New Contributor III
Much easier it would be if there was a possibility that the layer was searchable, editable and can be attached to the map projects only to the user organization. I think it would solve many problems for us all.
0 Kudos
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
Ladybug, go to My Org and click on the Users name and then choose Manage Items.  Then you should be able to see the layer.
0 Kudos
MarkNeumann
New Contributor
I am adding to this thread because I also would like to see ESRI address this issue.

I have a crew of public works field workers.  (around 30)  They share about 6 online accounts.  (organization)  They all need to have full editing rights to a map that tracks action items.

This map needs to be accessible by the public. (everyone)  We want the public to be able to create an action item but not edit any of the existing items on the map.

For example, when John Q Public walks down the street and trips on a hole in the sidewalk we want John to be able to open the map and enter the item.  (hole in sidewalk here, FIX IT)
Public Works lead (Org user #1) looks at the map on Monday and sees the item created by John Q and directs staff to repair by scheduling the work.
Public Works crew (Org user #2) views map, sees the priority and then repairs John's item.  Noting the date when the repair was complete.

Here's the jig.  We do not want John Q to look at the map and see that Robert Q Public has placed another item that rivals his repair.  John wants his done first so he deletes Roberts.  We don't want that.  We want the public to be able to add items but not edit.  We need many staff users to be able to edit due to their involvement at different stages of the work.

Please, we need editing rights that can be changed at the sharing level.  (Everyone/Organization)
deleted-user-zGZcJ5TpRUeA
New Contributor III

You can't solve this problem through groups or user security settings. I have been able to find the REST endpoints on any feature service that belongs to a public map, regardless of whether or not the editing has been disabled in the map. Once in the REST services you can apply edits using the REST API.

***DISABLING EDITING IN PUBLIC MAPS DOES NOT MAKE YOUR FEATURE SERVICE SAFE!!***