Request advice how to find latitude and longitude on historic map inside ArcGIS

Jump to solution
01-15-2021 07:22 AM
AmericanGeode
New Contributor

Hello,

I have been working on this all week and I have been searching through the boards, but no luck yet. I can not figure out how to derive latitude and longitude from a historic map I am viewing inside ArcGIS. I enabled the pop-up and it was showing lat and longitude, however, they were the same values for every location on the map. I believe this is available in the Pro version, but I only have 4 locations with latitudes and longitudes I am seeking from a 1906 map.

I have attached a screenshot. I would be very grateful for insight. I am almost ready to offer reimbursement if someone could help me with the latitude and longitude of 4 locations.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Unless I am missing something this should be easy. Seems you are using Map Viewer, so assuming the topo is georeferenced all you need to do is open the measure tool, choose the point measure subtool, and click.

BernSzukalski_0-1610730063762.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You will need more than 2 decimal places, you will have to change how the numbers are reported

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AmericanGeode
New Contributor

That is good advice, thank you. I will try that today and hopeful it is a setting. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the result in the popup giving you information about the image itself? If so, changing the number of decimal points won't help.

Instead, put this webmap into a Web AppBuilder app, which contains tools to show the coordinates of your mouse position.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Unless I am missing something this should be easy. Seems you are using Map Viewer, so assuming the topo is georeferenced all you need to do is open the measure tool, choose the point measure subtool, and click.

BernSzukalski_0-1610730063762.png

AmericanGeode
New Contributor

Thank you. I will try that next. I appreciate the helpful guidance here.

0 Kudos