Refreshing Map Layers - When ArcGIS Feature layer changes

04-02-2015 05:43 AM
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

There are 7 layers published through ArcGIS server as a feature service and there is a Map on AGOL that references those layers.

I am having an issue when i update the feature-class attributes, or add a new feature-class to the arcgis server service.

I can see that the publishing goes well. but

Those changes are not reflected to the AGOL map when i open it. I must remove all 7 layers from the map . and re add those layers again, loosing any changes that i had already made on the AGOL side. (Renaming, Attribute configuration, etc).

How can i force the AGOL map to refresh the layer definitions without removing the layers and adding them again from the map?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
13 Replies
BenScott1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly - not trying to hijack this thread with my issue (which may or may not be related), but I can't make my web map public yet but hope to do so soon.  Doing some web searches (e.g. this example arcgis 10.1 - How can i keep browser from caching map services? - Geographic Information Systems Sta... ) it seems the answer involves using the disableclientcaching property to ensure that the browser takes a fresh copy of the data every time.  SO I guess now my question is is there a way in arcgis online to do that with an embedded web map or will I need to export the application from arcgis online, host it on my server and then change that property in javascript myself?

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ben,

Does the symbology ever update in the embeded web map? This sounds more like an issue with how the particular map is set up than a browser cache issue. How did you add the layer to the web map and how are they symbolized? There are several places in which you can change the symbology of a layer, so understanding how the web map was made may help.

Check out my response in this post Dataset Not updating Schema in Collector​, it outlines some tools to look at the underlying map json to see how it is referencing the layer.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Kelly

0 Kudos
BenScott1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly - The data was not from collector - just a simple map service. We were using a python script to update attribute values daily and were finding that the symbology did not update to reflect that and some flaky things happened where at some zoom scales you got the new data and at others the old.  I ended up remaking the map in javascript so I could use disableclientcaching and that seemed to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly.

Unfortunately the map contains sensitive data and we cannot share it.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos