Refresh Time Extent of Layer on New Data

04-25-2018 12:57 PM
first_namelast_name
New Contributor

I am having an issue refreshing the time extent of a time aware feature service (published using ArcGIS Server). The feature service is continually getting new data that is time aware and thus should update the feature service's published time extent or "Max Time" to match the newest data's "Submitted Date" value. Within the feature service's properties it lists that the layer is "Time Aware", has "Live Data", and describes the time extent (see attached for details on feature service's time proprieties from rest endpoint).

You can also see the properties of the featureclass layer in ArcMap prior to publishing in the attached images.

This issue persists through to ArcGIS Online where I am trying to display my data. Using a web map, the data is "time enabled" so that a time slider is used. When a new feature is added the time slider's properties "End Time" (found in the Time Settings of the time slider) does not update. The only way update the "End Time" is to disable time animation on the layer and then re-enable time animation. 

I have tried many different combinations of properties both on the feature service's properties as well as on the layer in AGOL and I have not been successful in resolving this issue. I am looking for guidance on this issue or further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlstonHicks
New Contributor

Same issue, running 10.4 Portal.  I checked the help documentation on the widget, the language changed at 10.7, so I don't think the end date updates automatically in previous versions.  Always improving.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

With Python, you can override the hard-coded end time in the Web Map. This blog explains how: Auto-Update Time in Web Maps 

Hope that helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

I tried this and the Time Slider widget is still not updating, WAB 10.8.1.

Deleted the ‘startTime’ and the ‘endTime’ properties of the time slider widget for my map:

BrittanyBurson_0-1666625125907.png

BrittanyBurson_1-1666625233838.png

So frustrating.

BrandonNelson3
New Contributor

Ran into this myself in AGS 10.9, but not a single response in almost four years has addressed updating the service as stated multiple times in the question. 😞  Ended up digging into it and found an answer:  open the feature layer properties (https:///<service>/FeatureServer/<layer>/) and click "Return Updates" at the bottom of the page.  (Or open https:///<service>/FeatureServer/<layer>/?returnUpdates=true .)  Yes, that simple, and much faster than going through disabling/reenabling time-awareness.

According to the docs this has existed since 10.1 but it's pretty well hidden!  Maybe this could be made accessible from Portal, e.g. as a button on the layer info page?