Reduce table size with external key join

06-06-2021 11:10 AM
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz1
New Contributor III

I have a huge feature table with several hundreds of miles records of GPS positions.
Every feature has X,Y, device number, and driver name.

Id is a small integer, while the driver name is quite large text.

The more logical approximation is to store id in the main feature layer and the names in a related table.

I don't find a good way to do it. I try to do it making a relate on arcgispro and uploading it to arcgisonline, but I need the name being available to make a filter into a experienced builder filter widget and this way is not available.

Could you help me with any idea.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jose,

For info on publishing related tables from ArcGIS Pro, see these 2 links:

FAQ: Why is a related table not retained when publishing a feature class from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS O... 

Publish hosted feature service with related tables - Won't work with ArcGIS Pro 2.0 

For info on joining tables in ArcGIS Online see these two links:

FAQ: Does ArcGIS Online support joins and relates? 

Join Features 

Note that the last link says that you need to use Map Viewer Classic for the join functionality.

0 Kudos
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info  !

I can't use Arcgisonline map view joins because the point layer is updated every five minutes and I want to make the join permanent. Another issue is the credit consumption, the layer will be near 1 million points and the cost is huge.
I tried to publish the layer with the relate defined in desktop. It works and I can see the related attributes in the popup, but I need the name of the device that can be used to filter data in a dashboard and view it in tables.  The related fields are not available for this kind of visualizations.
The solution should be making a view of the layer getting the related fields from another table or something like that.  

0 Kudos