Recover Overwritten Feature Layer

Jump to solution
05-05-2023 10:53 AM
JustinJohnston
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I had created a web map for wetland delineation with features for study area, streams, wetlands, flags, stormwater, etc. etc. I had gone in the field and collected data in Field Maps.  All showed up in AGOL.  However, then I had a request to update the study area in AGOL.  So I tried to right click the Study Area feature class in ArcGIS Pro, go to Sharing, and overwrite the feature layer.  Problem was that it overwrote ALL of the feature layers, not just the Study Area.  So all of my field data was lost.  

Is there a way to recover it? 

So frustrating that I can't just update a single feature class in AGOL. Luckily it was just one field day lost, but I cant imagine what could happen to larger projects.  What do others do to make sure data is not lost so easily in AGOL?  It litterally took 2 seconds to lose that data and this is not the first time AGOL has had this happen and I am not the only person.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you want to only overwrite a single hosted feature layer, one option is to publish each feature class as separate hosted feature services, that way, if you overwrite the study area HFS, it won't clobber the wetland or streams feature layer(s) as they would be in thier own HFS.

Since there are issues beyond our control in AGOL, and, no real backups, any important data that I have in AGOL gets copied locally on a regular basis.  For the most part, my script just backs up the HFS's to local FGDB's with date appened to the name.  This way, I at least have a snapshot backup if 'something' happens.

For other layers that I tend to overwrite from Pro, my scheduled script checks for features that are in the AGOL hosted layer, but not in my local data (that I originally shared the layer from), and then appends the data to the local dataset.  This way, if I overwrite the layer, it has ALL the data in it.

Kind of clunky method, but it gets the job done.  Hopefully others will have 'better' options.

R_

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you want to only overwrite a single hosted feature layer, one option is to publish each feature class as separate hosted feature services, that way, if you overwrite the study area HFS, it won't clobber the wetland or streams feature layer(s) as they would be in thier own HFS.

Since there are issues beyond our control in AGOL, and, no real backups, any important data that I have in AGOL gets copied locally on a regular basis.  For the most part, my script just backs up the HFS's to local FGDB's with date appened to the name.  This way, I at least have a snapshot backup if 'something' happens.

For other layers that I tend to overwrite from Pro, my scheduled script checks for features that are in the AGOL hosted layer, but not in my local data (that I originally shared the layer from), and then appends the data to the local dataset.  This way, if I overwrite the layer, it has ALL the data in it.

Kind of clunky method, but it gets the job done.  Hopefully others will have 'better' options.

R_

JustinJohnston
Frequent Contributor

That is probably what I need to do is create separate hosted feature layers for each one.  I wish ArcGIS Pro could do that in bulk.  What a mess it creates when you have lots of feature classes to create for each new project.  

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Frequent Contributor

Hi Rhett,

I reshared to AGOL as HFS for each Feature Class.  I added them to a new Webmap.  I have the webmap shared with the organization. "Use in Field Maps" is checked in settings. Yet, in Field Maps, there is no little + circle to be able to add or edit the features. Does something need to be changed in AGOL to make the webmap and new HFS editable?

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

That is set in the configuation when you share the layer from Pro:

RhettZufelt_1-1683322275921.png

However, that can also be set in the setting tab for the HFL item details page.  Just be sure to save if you change it:

RhettZufelt_0-1683321973287.png

0 Kudos