Random Number added to Username

Jump to solution
04-16-2018 08:38 AM
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

I'm adding some users using a .csv file. Our campus login ID's are 6-character login ID's so I'd like the login ID to be the same for the AGO account, however, after I select the .csv file and review the accounts that will be created, it's adding a random number to a few of the accounts. I try to edit the user name & remove the number, but it adds a different number. I've verified that an account with that username on our Org. does not already exist. Help?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Krissy,

Usernames must be unique throughout all of ArcGIS Online. If a numeric value is being added during the invitation process, chances are that someone has already created the same username. The numeric value is added when the requested username is not available. For this reason, sometimes it helps to add your organization short url to ensure that the username is unique. 

If you feel like this may be an error, feel free to get in contact with technical support to investigate the issue further.

-Kelly 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Krissy,

Usernames must be unique throughout all of ArcGIS Online. If a numeric value is being added during the invitation process, chances are that someone has already created the same username. The numeric value is added when the requested username is not available. For this reason, sometimes it helps to add your organization short url to ensure that the username is unique. 

If you feel like this may be an error, feel free to get in contact with technical support to investigate the issue further.

-Kelly 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We should be able to create the username for example KevinCEMA  and then delete it and recreate it later for a surge activation for a hurricane.  Having to change usernames, and communicate this to numerous field crews, is a substantial issue during an emergency incident.  I propose the next-gen ArcGIS Online system allow usernames to be deleted and then recreated, without needing to keep adding and incrementing numbers.

Joel-Hickok-1978
New Contributor II

Hello.  We are seeing this, however, the username does NOT exist in the organization already.  We are using a SAML enterprise login, and when she logins in it created the username@email.com_OrgName0 or username@email.com_OrgName4 randomly.  This username is NOT in the org, but we deleted it originally and had her login again, so maybe it is "stuck" in some database within AGOL behind the scenes?  We can see it anywhere, yet if we delete her account and have her login again, it keeps recreating it with the random number as if it thinks the username exists already even though it doesn't show up.

Juan_Lopez
New Contributor

I have the exact same issue as Joel above. When I check my Portal members, it tells me there are 18 members but when I go to user in the Portal admin page it says 19 users. This is only happening for that one user and I have no clue how to find it and delete it. Any help would be appreciated