"Unable to establish a secure connection to the layer" when trying to add geodatabase.

Jump to solution
05-02-2021 01:28 AM
MajedAlmajed
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

We have just bought ArcGIS Online subscriptions to work on a geo database that was created previously by a contractor. I uploaded the geo database to our organization but when I try to add the gdb to the map I get the error : 

"Unable to establish a secure connection to the layer. The layer, [layername], cannot be added to the map."

I'm aware that this requires me to "Update the layer to use HTTPS" but I'm not sure how do I go about that. I tried to call the local provider ESRI support but the calls and emails are ignored.

Thank You. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MajedAlmajed
New Contributor II

It seems that the issue is that we didn't upload the gdb correctly.

we're reviewing the gdp to see if we can reduce the size of the file before uploading it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you add the zipped File Geodatabase in My Content tab? Check the steps and pointers to consider (Supported Data Types, Spatial Reference, etc.) in Publish the contents of a file geodatabase 

JayantaPoddar_0-1619946321235.png

Can you view the item details page of the Hosted Feature Layer?

JayantaPoddar_1-1619946614249.png

Add the Hosted Feature Layer to WebMap

JayantaPoddar_0-1619947129143.png

Think Location
MajedAlmajed
New Contributor II

Hello  Jayanta,

Yes, I uploaded the zipped file to my content following the same instructions.

I can't view the item details (see below) could this mean that something went wrong during the upload? the gdb size is almost 20 GB.

MajedAlmajed_0-1619950987274.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I tried uploading zipped shapefiles of 1.8 GB, followed by creation of hosted feature services. Upload executed fast, but creation of hosted feature layer took around 3 hours. The size of the hosted Feature Layer was around 11 GB then.

JayantaPoddar_0-1619988971593.png

You can upload files up to 500 GB to My Content through a web browser. Considering the increase in size of the hosted feature layer multi-folds, I will not recommend the process of uploading such large datasets to AGOL.

Publishing file geodatabase contents is a useful workflow if the geodatabase contains only a few datasets.

Rather, you should design the layers (symbology, visibility scale range, etc.) in ArcGIS Pro, and publish the hosted features from ArcGIS Pro.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MajedAlmajed
New Contributor II

It seems that the issue is that we didn't upload the gdb correctly.

we're reviewing the gdp to see if we can reduce the size of the file before uploading it.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. I found this because I had the same issues as @MajedAlmajed and followed your steps @JayantaPoddar   and it worked !

Originally, I had a file geodatabase from my supervisor and I had to published this as a web feature layer in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 and it gave me this error..

PROBERT68_0-1621437349177.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Cheers!

Think Location
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

What is the reason for using the Zip file rather than the feature layer in the ArcGIS Pro ?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zip file was used to directly upload the File GDB (zipped) to ArcGIS Online (My Content).

For sharing web layers from ArcGIS Pro, you need to add the respective layers to Content tab of ArcGIS Pro, make necessary updates including its style. And then share them as web layers (hosted) to ArcGIS Online. Share a web feature layer 

Think Location