"The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style" Error Troubleshoot

Jump to solution
10-14-2016 10:39 AM
JennaMitchell1
New Contributor

I edited numeric values in the table of an existing layer on a ArcGIS Online map by editing the values through the pop-up windows. Since editing, however, I've been unable to change the layer style to show a different numeric attribute than currently displayed. Any time I attempt to change the displayed attribute, I receive the error, "The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style." Any suggestions for resolving this error? There are no typing errors that I can find (e.g., "," instead of ".", or letters instead of numbers). Here's the link to the map: http://arcg.is/2epbEFl 

18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also experiencing the same error and have turned in a support ticket.

GISWisDom
New Contributor II

Have there been any update to this issue? A resolution would be wonderful but a workaround will do for now.

0 Kudos
Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

I'm simply trying to symbolize my polygon hosted feature layer by field & "Types (unique symbols)" and I get the message, "Warning:  The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style." and it won't let me actually finish the symbolizing process.  I've removed the layer and added back in and get the same warning message every time... I've edited the data in the layer with no issue.  I have no idea what the issue is and how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

Still having this issue.  I've deleted my web map and offending hosted feature layer, recreated a new polygon hosted feature layer, added that to a new web map, and when I try to symbolize based on a field, I get the "The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style." warning.  What is going on?

DanielMiranda1
New Contributor II

I found a workaround! Switch to Map Viewer Classic, then set the symbol style for the polygon layer. It will allow you to use unique values based on your integer domain field. Then switch back to Map Viewer.

It is clearly some kind of bug with Map Viewer that based on this thread, has been around for years.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, that got it working for me too, six years after this thread started. Has always worked fine in the classic map viewer, and just tried this project for the first time in the (new) map viewer today and got this error message.

0 Kudos
Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

I need to try this out.  Would be a life saver. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

That worked!!!   I owe you one, biggly @DanielMiranda1 !

0 Kudos
WaynesWorld
New Contributor

Just hit this. In my case the filter was valid but it still kept me from making the change. I removed the filter, made my symbology change, saved my map, then re applied the filter. I did not switch to map classic.

0 Kudos