"The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style" Error Troubleshoot

Jump to solution
10-14-2016 10:39 AM
JennaMitchell1
New Contributor

I edited numeric values in the table of an existing layer on a ArcGIS Online map by editing the values through the pop-up windows. Since editing, however, I've been unable to change the layer style to show a different numeric attribute than currently displayed. Any time I attempt to change the displayed attribute, I receive the error, "The layer is not providing enough information to change the drawing style." Any suggestions for resolving this error? There are no typing errors that I can find (e.g., "," instead of ".", or letters instead of numbers). Here's the link to the map: http://arcg.is/2epbEFl 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielMiranda1
New Contributor II

I found a workaround! Switch to Map Viewer Classic, then set the symbol style for the polygon layer. It will allow you to use unique values based on your integer domain field. Then switch back to Map Viewer.

It is clearly some kind of bug with Map Viewer that based on this thread, has been around for years.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Drew,

I have sent you a direct message, I think this would be best handled through a Support case.

Thanks,

Katie

0 Kudos
RowenaTansley1
New Contributor III

I am receiving this same message when I try to create a heat map Portal 10.5. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rowena,

If you have access to Technical Support I suggest creating a case so we can investigate this error further and document the results.

Thank you,

Katie

0 Kudos
EastRIU
New Contributor

Can anyone provide me with a fix for this, too?

I'm trying to create a heat map with a dataset in ArcGIS Online, but when I try and reduce the area of influence, it comes up with the error message the original poster stated at the top of this thread.

Any help very, very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you have access to Support? If so please open a case for this issue. If you do not have access to Support please let me know.

0 Kudos
CraigBeebe01
New Contributor II

Has this issue been resolved?  I have been attempting to do the 'FieldMaps' tutorial and keep receiving the message related to polygons.  My points and lines are set up exactly the same way and have no issue.

JoshuaLogsdon1
New Contributor II

Same issue here following that tutorial. It's happening in the new map viewer.

GISWisDom
New Contributor II

I am now also receiving this same error when I try to classify a data which which was previously not classified. No access to support as it is limited to one person in my university organisation.

Help required

0 Kudos
LindseySmith5
New Contributor

I am also receiving this message when I go to manipulate style of displaying city population data in a basic map.   Should I go directly to the contact person at our institution?

0 Kudos