"Scene service is missing root node", no matter how I share my data. Possibly AGOL bug?

03-08-2020 07:03 AM
EkremCanli2
New Contributor III

Hi all,

first of all: yes, I've read through all those reports here on GeoNet with respect to this issue. Yet I haven't found a suitable solution yet.

So what's the problem: I converted an IFC model to a multipatch feature through the Data Interop. workbench which worked all as intended. I can visualize my model in ArcGIS Pro and it looks exactly as it should with all its attributes. Sharing the data to AGOL was also easy and so far I didn't encounter any issues at all. But no matter how I share my data from ArcGIS Pro (which is in WGS84 Web Mercator), I get the error message "Scene service is missing root node" when I try to open or create a Scene view.

What have I tried so far:

• "Share as a Web Scene": the Web scene shows the error "Scene service is missing root node"
  • "Share as Web Layer":  Creates Scene from hosted scene layer, but also here I get the error "Scene service is missing root node". Since I also need a feature layer to modify my popups I have to select "Cache online" in ArcGIS Pro (no feature layer available if I cache locally...why?). Because if I select cache locally, "Share as a Web Layer" works in order to view my Scene online! But again, no possibility to modify my popup online without feature layer.
  • Also "Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package" + Publish web layer won't create a hosted feature layer to modify popups (which I need), so I can't use this one. But the scene I open from the hosted scene layer works too!

So this HAS to be a bug with AGOL, either with the service definition (which isn't created when I publish my layer package or use share as web layer and do a local cashing, since in both ways no hosted feature layer is created), or with the caching itself. And yes, I have let it "cook" for a longer time...it's a really small file, so this shouldn't take too long.

Any further ideas? I've attached the slpk here as well in case you want to have a look into this directly. Since we are a big construction company currently in a PoC for purchasing ArcGIS Enterprise, working with 3D data is of utmost importance to us. This shouldn't make any problems.

Thanks!

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
EkremCanli2
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, I wasn't aware of these bug reports, just saw all those GeoNet questions. Seems like this 100% reproducible bug is on the tracker since 2017 already...

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI these bugs are usually data specific not indicative of a large problem publishing scene layers. I'll follow up with our Online team to update the status as these are usually fixed pretty quickly.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good idea.... Mar 07, 2018 was the last time the first "bug" was updated.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are running into this problem. A few thoughts on this:

1) Is there any specific reason why you are not running this through the Create Building Scene Layer Package tool? Working with building data (IFC, Revit) the recommended workflow is to create a building layer via BIM File to Geodatabase and Make Building Layer tools. That is not to say that you can't run this through the Create 3D Object Scene Layer tool but you can take advantage of the building functionality such as filters, layer structure etc when working with a building scene layer.

2) Regarding popups, when you author any scene layer the pop up information gets written to the popup info. All ArcGIS clients will read from the popup info on the scene layer so you do not need to have an associated feature layer to configure popups. Additionally, thin clients (Scene Viewer, ArcGIS Earth) cannot configure popups so the recommended workflow is to configure popups in ArcGIS Pro prior to authoring the scene layer so that when you consume the scene layer it will display everything as expected no matter who looks at it.

3) Are you able to provide the source feature class?

4) Moving forward since this does work through the GP tool in ArcGIS Pro my recommendation is to configure the popups and author the slpk (Create Building Scene Layer Package tool) and publish the slpk in ArcGIS Online. We haven't seen this behavior on our end with our revit data but i'll do some more testing to try and reproduce but it is possible this is a data specific bug and having access to the source data would help us debug further.

thanks for your time,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to follow up from my testing, I am not able to reproduce this with several different datasets so if you are able to provide the feature class that would help a lot.

thanks!

Andrew

0 Kudos
AnibalSolipa
New Contributor

Hello Andrew I'm trying to find a solution to a problem that's similar to this one. I converted a polygon layer to a multipatch layer. After this I'm trying to upload to my online account and give me this error 

Scene service is missing root node

Thanks

0 Kudos