"Create List" not appearing for only one field feature layer

03-18-2021 10:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am creating lists on my feature layer to make data collection easy but there is one field where “Create List” is not showing as an option when all the other fields in the same feature layer have the “Create List" option. Any ideas why?

25 Replies
ctalleygreenville
New Contributor III

update - I changed the visualization of the feature layer to single symbol and saved the layer.  Then went to view the fields and the option to "Create List" appeared.  The visualization was originally set for a domain that no longer existed.  Perhaps that was causing an issue????

KevinWarner1
New Contributor II

Changing symbology also worked for me.

0 Kudos
OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

This also was the solution for me! Save layer as single symbol.

JamesDaly
New Contributor

Thank you! That worked for me, too!

0 Kudos
UtilitiesCoordinator
New Contributor II

try this

create a new field with a different name than the field you were trying to create a list for. You should be able to create a list in the field on AGOL.

ex. my original field name was "Feature",

HollySmith
New Contributor III

Hi there, 

I am also coming across this issue on random fields. It does seem to quite often be the first field. Anyone had any luck getting "create list" to come back up without having the recreate the field? Has anyone raised this as a support call?

@esri this seems to be a common issue. Is it a bug?

ChrisLandvogt
Esri Contributor

Hi Holly,

Sorry for the trouble. This has been identified as a defect with Esri (BUG-000137678). 

Regards, 

Chris

Esri Australia
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

That bug number (https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEzNzY3OA==) might need to be expanded as I don't think it covers all instances. It mentions lines, yet this is also happening for at least point layers as well. I've got a point layer, published with custom symbology from ArcGIS Pro, and for one particular field (not related to the symbology) I've got the same issue. As it's the second field (first is ObjectID) it might be related to it being set as the 'Display Field' as @Kuyler_JonesCivil mentions below. I need to test both options to try rule one or the other out.

@ChrisLandvogt

0 Kudos
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

Adding a new field works for me. The bug still exists as of Dec 2021

0 Kudos
Kuyler_JonesCivil
New Contributor II

I had this same issue and just found a cause. In my situation, the feature layer was published to ArcGIS Online by sharing as a web layer from ArcGIS Pro, and whichever field was chosen as the 'Display Field' at the time of sharing, that same field did not have the 'Create List' option available on ArcGIS Online. I changed the 'Display Field' to OBJECTID in ArcGIS Pro and re-published, which solved the issue.

I you want to apply this fix but have already made changes to the existing feature layer, or have created/edited features, you could try exporting the feature service to a FGDB, changing the 'Display Field' in ArcGIS Pro, then overwriting the web layer. I tested this out and it worked as well.

If your web layer was not published to ArcGIS Online by sharing as a web layer from ArcGIS Pro, then the 'Create List' issue is most likely related to the visualization settings.