"Accessing data failed" error message - ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-01-2016 02:31 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I recently published three layers from ArcGIS Pro​ (1.3) to my ArcGIS Online​ account. The first two came in fine. But the third did not show up. When I tried to access the table from the third layer, it gave me the error message of "Accessing data failed".

The map in question is here: http://meiamerica.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=e97c0195b842460585a85ffa8a48b5d7

The 'funny' thing is, the data source for the second and third layer is exactly the same. Could this be my issue? I don't know why it would matter, but who knows...

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Chris,

That is interesting. I just sent you an email with the .sd file. Let me know what you find out. (I wish these field names could be shorter but trying to comply with engineers, surveyors, project managers, etc. all at one time is not conducive to productivity....).

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian, would messing with, or swapping fieldname and an alias work?  Just a thought on a way to shorted/abbreviate the required field names.

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Adrian Welsh​ thanks for sending the sd file. Confirmed it's an issue with the field length. Unfortunately the only workaround really is to publish with shorter field names (32 characters or less) . This will be fixed on the Online side in the next release (currently planned for September). There also seems to be an issue with this in Pro with shortening the field names when publishing (essentially both Pro and Online should automatically truncate the longer field names but didn't in your specific case).

This info was sent over to the support analyst you talked to - they're writing these issues up, etc so you'll likely be hearing from them soon.

Thanks,

Chris

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks Chris. I shortened the field names and it publishes normally. Silly ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online conversion..... Well, I'm glad that it was an 'easy' fix. I'm going to have to crack down on these land survey people more about field-names-that-are-really-really-ridiculously-too-long.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I completely forgot to add the new BUGS that Esri filed for this case.

BUG-000098341 : The process of publishing to ArcGIS Online should truncate long field names even if the client application (ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, etc.) doesn't.

BUG-000098339 : ArcGIS Online Error: "Accessing data failed" -> data with field names that have over 32 characters fail to publish correctly when published to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap, only if there are multiple layers that reference the same database in the service

BUG-000098311 : ArcGIS Online Error: "Accessing data failed" -> data with field names that have over 32 characters fail to publish correctly when published to ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Pro, only if there are multiple layers that reference the same database in the service.

Furthermore here are the workarounds that I have found:

Workaround 1:

Publish each layer individually from ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro

Workaround 2:

Make sure all of the field name lengths are less than 32 characters

Workaround 3:

Make sure the layers in the map document/Pro Project are all from different sources

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

These bugs have all been 'resolved' since they cannot be reproduced anymore, allegedly.

BUG-000098341: The process of publishing to ArcGIS Online must trun.. 

BUG-000098339: Data with field names that have over 32 characters w.. 

BUG-000098311 is a duplicate of 000098339, supposedly.

0 Kudos