Select to view content in your preferred language

Question about private and public access to data on AGOL

Jump to solution
02-04-2019 09:43 PM
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

I build and manage my office's AGOL mapping applications. We currently have one app that is based on the old Flash interface and one that's hosted on AGOL. Both apps are essentially the same, except that the Flash-based version is available to our organization only - not the public.

With the impeding demise of Flash support in web browsers, I need to migrate the Flash-based app to the AGOL platform. Ideally, I'd like to have only one app on AGOL. That one app would contain all the data layers from both of our current apps. However, our current Flash-based app has several layers that we want to be viewable by our organization only - not the public.

Here's my question:

Is it possible in AGOL to build one mapping application that contains both private and public layers? The way I imagine it working is that when someone goes to the app, there would be some way for people in our organization to log in using their standard Windows domain credentials. Once logged in, they would see both the private data layers and the public data layers. For those not in our organization (the public) they would not log in and would see just the publicly-viewable data layers.

Is this scenario possible in AGOL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Scott,

When you share a map publicly (the map to be used in the application), it will usually want you to update the sharing properties of all layers to also be public.  When sharing the application, a login will be prompted for all users and it does not look like there is a way to bypass this login prompt for public viewers.  All items will need to be shared publicly in order to create a seamless application for public use. You could create a copy of the app only shared to Organization members, and make them sign in to certain feature services not available in the public app. 

Best of luck,

Marisa

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Scott,

When you share a map publicly (the map to be used in the application), it will usually want you to update the sharing properties of all layers to also be public.  When sharing the application, a login will be prompted for all users and it does not look like there is a way to bypass this login prompt for public viewers.  All items will need to be shared publicly in order to create a seamless application for public use. You could create a copy of the app only shared to Organization members, and make them sign in to certain feature services not available in the public app. 

Best of luck,

Marisa

0 Kudos
ScottMcGee4
New Contributor III

Marisa,

Thanks for the info. I had originally thought of making a copy of the public-viewable app, adding the private-viewable data layers to the copy, and sharing the new copy with our organization only. That solutions requires me to maintain two separate, but mostly identical apps. I was hoping there might be some way in AGOL to serve both public and private uses in only one app, but it looks like that's not possible at this time. Maybe sometime in the future?

0 Kudos