Publishing airphoto mosaic (wms/image service) display checkered boxes at larger scales

Jump to solution
02-07-2018 07:54 PM
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to publish a mosaic dataset containing air photo / imagery tiles in ECW format as a WMS. The WMS appears fine at smaller scales (regional scale), but it fails to show air photo tiles at larger scales (street level). At larger scales, only black and white checkered boxes fill the screen.

The mosaic dataset looks fine at all scales in ArcMap. Analysed the mosaic and no errors or warnings.

Black and white square tiles appear instead of air photo

It appears that the overviews are not generating well (see the attached images). At street level, when I use "i" tool on the mosaic, I get only image no "Ov_xxx_xxxxx.ti" as I get at regional levels.

I have done different iterations to eliminate the variables that might contribute to the issue.

The ECW format is same as the previous year, I created the mosaic data set for 2016 and 2015 air photos and they are working very good. 

I have created a subset of 3 air photo tiles to repeat the tile cache creation process, the tiles turn into checkered boxes at 1:6770. Published the mosaic (right-click on it) as an image service and the result is same.

The disk space is plenty on the file server and I have moved the files to a different file server. 

The issue is being looked at by ESRI Support (Australia) but I thought I may get some answers if posted in this forum. Has anyone have experienced this issue before?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

Resolved this now. After trying different isolation, it turns out that the file format ECW is the culprit. I suspect our ArcMap version is too old to catch up with the ECW format.

I used JPG and did not work. Had to use GeoTIFF images to create the mosaic and publish the WMS. This resolved this.

Thanks everyone who has responded. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you use ArcGIS Server or ERDAS Apollo for publishing ECW dataset?

Try exporting the ECW imagery to TIFF (*.tif) or Geodatabase Raster dataset and then publish. Also ensure the data is accessible to ArcGIS Server machine (Copying data to the server automatically when publishing—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS En... ).

See the link (below) for more details.

20026: Layer is an ECW format raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
0 Kudos
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jayanta. I am trying with JPEG2000 format (as we speak) to rule out the file format issue. I published another service with ECW just yesterday and it was good.

I have contacted the air photo data supplier to see if there are any errors/issues related to this particular data set.

Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

The air photo supplier said none of the other customers had any issue in publishing the ECW air photos.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever I've seen the checker board pattern within a service, it's a permissions problem.  Does the user running the ArcGIS Server service have at least read access to the directory that stores the overviews?

0 Kudos
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jonathan. Checked the overviews folder permissions. Looks good. Checked the arcgiscache folder where the tile cache are stored. Looks good.

Here is the link to the 2017 map service which display checkered boxes at scale larger than 1:6770

ArcGIS JavaScript API: ImageryBaseMapsEarthCover/AerialMap_2017_SCC 

Here is the link to the Street Base Map service that has cache from the location.

ArcGIS JavaScript API: ImageryBaseMapsEarthCover/StreetMap_SCRC 

0 Kudos
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

Resolved this now. After trying different isolation, it turns out that the file format ECW is the culprit. I suspect our ArcMap version is too old to catch up with the ECW format.

I used JPG and did not work. Had to use GeoTIFF images to create the mosaic and publish the WMS. This resolved this.

Thanks everyone who has responded. 

0 Kudos