Problems Importing XML Metadata (Disclaimers)

08-09-2018 02:06 PM
RichardWarnick
New Contributor III

The image below captures some quirks I encountered when importing XML metadata into ArcGIS Online.  The XML file conformed to the FGDC-CSDGM standard and was in ArcGIS metadata format.

I work for the Bureau of Land Management.  Any GIS datasets we make public are supposed to carry required disclaimers in the metadata.

(1) Access Constraints is a separate tag in the XML, but when imported to AGOL the wording in the XML file was replaced with "Access Constraints: None" and the XML wording for Access Constraints was lumped into the next item, Use Constraints.

(2) In the Use Constraints, the phrase "as is" in quotations got rendered in AGOL as: ""as is""

(3)  The Distribution Liability disclaimer in the XML file was omitted and replaced by: "Distribution Liability: See access and use constraints information."  The BLM disclaimer is not the same. 

What is the solution for making the XML metadata come through to AGOL as written?  Thanks. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Richard,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the original xml you used to import? Can email me at cwhitmore@esri.com if you'd prefer not to post it here.

I checked the metadata on some other items in the BLM organization..some of the elements you mentioned seemed to show correctly in the HTML view of the metadata for other items so maybe something specific is going on (here's one I checked where Access Constraints and Distribution Liability seem to come though). 

BLM Administrative Unit Office Points 

Thanks,

Chris

RichardWarnick
New Contributor III

Thanks.  Apparently there is a way to obtain the results we are looking for, but maybe there is something wrong with my XML metadata.  I sent you an e-mail with my input XML and details on the workflow I used.

0 Kudos
RichardWarnick
New Contributor III

Just for the record, the solution turned out to be: Leave the checkbox "Populate metadata with item details" UNCHECKED when importing FGDC-CSDGM metadata from XML.

AGOL metadata Overwrite dialog box