Problem appending CSV to feature layer

11-23-2022 08:40 PM
MangatuIntegrated
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to append some data to a feature layer. I thought I could export the data from Arcgis online, use the csv as a template, add new data then append this to the layer. So far only the location data has been added, the other fields are blank.

Any ideas why?

Cheers

Andrew

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

Just a quick question - are you essentially trying to join a table to your ArcGIS Online data? If I'm reading the question correctly, the feature layer data is still present but the table data that was added has blank fields?

You may have already checked these things, but a couple things to verify:

• Is there a Unique ID field between the feature layer and CSV table? This would have to be a unique field without duplicate values that has the EXACT same format. (Ex. If it's the same word, but there is a extra space after in the table, they may not add correctly)
  • Is the Unique ID field the same data type? I've encountered issues if, for example, using a field that can be either a text type or long type. Even if it has the same information, the program won't always join it correctly.
  • I've also encountered issues if the table has column headers that contain special characters (%$@&#) or if the header names are too long. 

What type of data are you trying to join to the feature layer?

MangatuIntegrated
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

So I'm trying to replicate a H&S recording system using Arcgis, Survey123 and Arcgis Experience. I've replicated the datafields in the feature layer, so I was trying to add the existing dataset to get some historical info into the model. I exported the csv, and added the historic data to the bottom, but when I tried to append the data only the location data went into the layer. I think this suggests that perhaps the location data was in the correct format, but the rest wasn't.

I'll definitely check out the nature of the unique ID's and data types, but I think the column headers should be ok as they were exported out from  the layer.

Thanks again

Andrew

0 Kudos
MangatuIntegrated
New Contributor II

So, it turns out my problems were twofold. Firstly my dates needed to be in a very particular format MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:sstt e.g 10/17/2022 03:33:00PM, not the English version I was usingDD/MM. Also, some of the data in some text boxes were too long (more than 255 characters). I can now upload my data via the append data in Arcgis Online without getting the deeply frustrating and unhelpful 'There was an error.' message.