Portal displaying correct timezone, ArcMap displaying time in UTC

09-11-2019 06:06 AM
JasonCyphers
Occasional Contributor III

I'm performing inspections via Survey123, storing the data in a related table in a feature service in our ArcGIS Portal.  I've added the feature service to our desktop GIS so personnel in the office, who utilize ArcMap, will have access to the inspections without having to go through portal.

An issue I'm having is with date/time - Portal captures the correct time (Eastern Time, US), but when displayed in ArcMap, it appears to be UCT.  Any idea how to remedy this, so ArcMap shows eastern time or just no time at all...just the date?

Portal date/time:

ArcMap date/time for same record:

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jason Cyphers‌,

I think the issue likely has to do with Portal storing time in UTC and the browser calculating the UTC offset. This is why the time appears in the local time zone when viewing in the Portal Map Viewer. When these values are brought into ArcGIS for Desktop there is no browser to calculate the offset, so they won't match up with the local time. 

I expect you can convert these values with this workflow: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015876

Date questions also capture time. However, if you use a Date question in Survey123 as opposed to DateTime, the time will default to 12:00 a.m. instead of recording the exact time. You can also un-check "show time" in the Web Map's Attribute configuration, but I am not completely sure in your scenario how this will affect the time values in ArcMap. 

This blog goes further in-depth on date and time in Survey123.

Hope that helps!

-Peter

0 Kudos