Populating a map with online survey results

Jump to solution
10-29-2015 09:50 AM
ToryElmore
New Contributor II

My organization hosts a petition on its website to support the establishment of three new national monuments. The petition asks signers to provide their zipcode, and when they click "submit" all of their information, including that zipcode, populates a spreadsheet in Google Drive. Using the results to-date, I created a heat map in ArcGIS Online depicting where people who support the monuments live.

The petition, however, is still live. I am wondering if there is a way to connect my petition and/or spreadsheet to my map so that new "signatures" populate the map automatically. I have both ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 and an AGO organizational account, but not much experience writing code. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewOrtego
New Contributor III

Hey Tory,

You could try using the GeoForm template to collect user data. You can see that here:

The GeoForm Graduates | ArcGIS Blog

Also, Esri is releasing a new data-collection app for mobile, Windows, and Linux devices which will help you collect data from users. The only drawback right now is that only ArcGIS Online users can submit data to it:

Survey123 for ArcGIS

To actually have your CSV file updated you'd have to use the REST API to update the feature service, which in turn updates the map. You'd need to know code for that, so the solution might be to use a template such as the Crowdsource Reporter, seen here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?

I hope that helps!

Drew

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndrewOrtego
New Contributor III

Hey Tory,

You could try using the GeoForm template to collect user data. You can see that here:

The GeoForm Graduates | ArcGIS Blog

Also, Esri is releasing a new data-collection app for mobile, Windows, and Linux devices which will help you collect data from users. The only drawback right now is that only ArcGIS Online users can submit data to it:

Survey123 for ArcGIS

To actually have your CSV file updated you'd have to use the REST API to update the feature service, which in turn updates the map. You'd need to know code for that, so the solution might be to use a template such as the Crowdsource Reporter, seen here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?

I hope that helps!

Drew