Points drawing in web map, but not in web map app

12-16-2022 11:21 AM
LaraJuliussonUSFS
New Contributor II

Greetings, I am attempting to use the EPA's Facility Registry System points from Living Atlas in a web app (https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e64c3fd66010469abc42a77a2b428ed4).

I have loaded the points into my web map and they draw at the default view scale (WebMapViewer.pgn attached screenshot). However, when the map is used in a web map app (WebMapApp.png) they do not draw. I can open the table for the feature layer in the web map app and the data in it shows up. I can then select a feature and zoom to it and see the highlighted point (SelectedPoint.png), but when I clear the selection, the point symbol does not draw (ClearedPoint.png). 

I have cleared my cache and opened a fresh web app builder session and added the original web map and none of these allows the display the points in the web app. When I added the above feature to a brand new web map and include this in my web map app the points do show. This makes me think it has to do with my original web map. My original web map has 35ish layers in it, so I am wondering if this is a size limitation I've hit. I'd like to know what the above situation is caused by so I can avoid it in the future and fix my application with the least amount of redoing, as I've put a lot of time into the web map app.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Lara

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I did a quick reality check with your map. As you know, there are a great number of features in that layer. I tested your map in a couple of Instant Apps and in Experience Builder with no issues. I also tested in a simple Web AppBuilder app that includes the select tool.

The performance in WAB is noticeably slower, and is likely due to the fact that Map Viewer, Instant Apps, and ExB are JS 4.x apps. WAB is not.

While I could not reproduce your issue, my suspicion is that it is caused by the large number of features you are trying to handle in the WAB app. 

My suggestion would be to implement the app using one of the Instant Apps or Experience Builder. No matter which alternative you choose, using aggregate layers and/or scale dependencies would IMHO make for a better app experience.

BernSzukalski

I might also add that IMHO 35 layers in a map or app is too many for a user to navigate, so would suggest to divide and conquer and consider making several apps, rather than one large one with so many layers. Again, I am unclear about your intended goal, but in general simpler is always better.

LaraJuliussonUSFS
New Contributor II

Thanks Ben, I appreciate you trying to replicate. I will try Experience Builder. I was using WAB and separating my layers into themes with separate layer list widgets (EPA, Water, etc.). I like the idea of having one map that the user can easily turn all layers on for one theme from the list widget, turn them all off, and turn various features from different thematic lists on in the same map (one EPA layer with one Water layer for example). Even if I use Experience, won't I have to have one web map with all the features in it to do that? I could break up my data themes into separate web maps, but how to display them all together if needed? I don't think Experience can do that, but I will check.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I understand the reasoning behind what you are doing. Group layers might help you out (not supported in WAB) so you could try that.

My brain is small and easily confused by too many options, so I'd still think to break the app up into several and then use something like a Hub (Hub Basic would be perfect) or a group-based gallery app like Category Gallery to warehouse the apps and allow viewers to filter for what they are after.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Did you try symbolizing and saving in the Map Viewer Classic, then opening in the Web App?  New map viewer and Web App don't really play that well together, and lots of changes to symbology in the new map viewer.

R_

LaraJuliussonUSFS
New Contributor II

Hi Rhett,

Yes I did try that. It didn't change the issue. Thanks anyway.

Lara

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I'm not sure how you are getting it to draw in ANY map/app as there is no data to draw....

RhettZufelt_0-1672262455215.png

Perhaps the old maps had it cached or something?

R_

0 Kudos