Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).

Jump to solution
08-29-2017 08:27 AM
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

I am having trouble updating an existing hosted feature service in AGOL. When I attempt to publish, I get the following error message:

"Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition)."

When I go to results, right click the failed process, and click open, I see that the service definition file seems to be missing.

Has anyone run into this issue and how can I resolve it?

Thank you for any help or pointers in the right direction!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrittneyGibbons1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for following up on this, Kelly. We worked with ESRI Support and our IT department to resolve the issue. A file that was created during the publishing process was being flagged as a potential threat and was being blocked from being uploaded. Once the settings were adjusted, we were able to publish again.

Thanks very much,

Brittney

View solution in original post

16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hannes,

When you say "update", I understand that you are attempting to overwrite a hosted feature layer? Has the Service Definition file for this hosted feature layer previously been deleted in ArcGIS Online? Have you attempted creating a new Service Definition file for the layer before overwriting? Create a service definition in ArcMap—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
HannesZiegler2

Yes, I'm trying to overwrite a hosted feature layer, the service definition file is present in AGOL.

I'm not sure this is the problem, however, because I did try to create a completely new hosted feature layer and I got the same error. I even created an entirely new .gdb, created an entirely empty featureclass, gave it a single geometry and attribute, and tried to share it as a hosted feature service using an entirely new .mxd and I also got the same error message..

I recently installed ArcGIS 10.5, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

0 Kudos
BrittneyGibbons1
Occasional Contributor

I am also experiencing this problem when trying to publish a service to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap 10.4 and have heard from a few others in our organization that they are experiencing the same error. I tried to create a service definition and publish at the same time and also tried to create a service definition prior to publishing, but neither option worked. I was able to publish a service from ArcMap 10.4 on August 19 and have not made any changes to my ArcMap installation since then.

I tried adding our organization's ArcGIS Online portal to the portal list in ArcGIS Administrator, but that did not resolve the issue.

Publishing from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online works without any problems.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If this issue is being replicated by multiple people, I would suggest contacting Support as it could be a bug that Esri will want to patch...
Otherwise they may figure out a workaround!

RolandPomana
New Contributor II

I had this exact error the other day and was totally stumped.

I'm not sure if what I did was what fixed the error, but as soon as I had done it the feature class uploaded without any issues.

Basically, ensure your "Map Document Properties" are filled out in your .mxd.

0 Kudos
HannesZiegler2

Thank you for the suggestion, I tested it out but I am unfortunately still getting the error message.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Hannes,

Can you try publishing a different hosted map service to AGOL with just one single layer? When ArcGIS Desktop is installed it creates a TemplateData.gdb which is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\TemplateData. This particular geodatabase has some sample feature classes which can be used to perform this test. You may use any feature class from this geodatabase for this.

Also you can monitor ArcGIS Online Health Dashboard 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of this feedback and troubleshooting.

Are any of you still experiencing the issue? If so, can you reply to this post so we can get support in contact with you to see what is happening? KCullen-esristaff

-Kelly

0 Kudos
BrittneyGibbons1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for following up on this, Kelly. We worked with ESRI Support and our IT department to resolve the issue. A file that was created during the publishing process was being flagged as a potential threat and was being blocked from being uploaded. Once the settings were adjusted, we were able to publish again.

Thanks very much,

Brittney