Overwriting Feature Layers in ArcGIS Online Without Losing Symbology?

08-24-2022 04:59 PM
BrianIlnicki
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out the best solution for maintaining a database in ArcGIS Online that has occasional updates with new layers. A few years ago there was an option to Overwrite Entire Layer right in ArcGIS Online that would allow you to update an uploaded geodatabase so long as it had the same name, without breaking the pop-ups and symbology already set - this is no longer an option. I know you can overwrite from ArcGIS Pro, which I have been doing, but it's such a pain to have to reset my symbology and pop-ups every time as the database has a decent number of layers. 

Is there an easy way to add a new layer into an existing hosted feature layer WITHOUT having to overwrite from Pro, or having to redo your symbologies and pop-ups? Or is there a setting in Pro that will allow you to update the feature layer without breaking the aforementioned elements?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

I usually set my symbology and popups in Pro, then publish. If I have to add a new layer to the service, or the schema changes, you can add it to your Pro map and configure symbology/popups for the new layer. The existing symbology/popup config should remain. Then overwrite the service. 

0 Kudos
BrianIlnicki
New Contributor

I'll give this a shot! Thank you!

0 Kudos