Overwrite web layer without corrupting views?

09-25-2019 03:52 PM
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

When I overwrite a web layer from Pro on ArcGIS Online the associated views of the hosted feature service are corrupted. They still exist in AGOL, but they do not draw or populate properly. Is there a way to carry updates to views that have their primary or parent hosted feature service overwritten (i.e. updated)?

8 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Will,

According to our documentation, You can overwrite the hosted feature layer from which the view was created to refresh the data only if the following are true:

• The parent hosted feature layer was published from a file in ArcGIS Online, not from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.
  • The hosted feature layer view was not generated by the Join Features analysis tool.
  • You did not define an area of interest on the view.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

That would probably explain why the views become corrupt after overwriting.  Hope this helps!

Best,

Marisa

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Will,

Generally we block the ability to be able to overwrite views when it falls into one of the categories above so no corruption should occur. What is corrupt about the layers? Do they not load in an existing map? Do they not load in a new map?

Can you share an example of a bad view?

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

The view in question does have an area of interest definition applied to it. The overwrite is performed through ArcGIS Pro and the function is not blocked. Other views that have field or feature definitions applied to them do carry forward the updates without problems.

0 Kudos
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

Hi -- did a solution emerge for this? I have a comparable situation -- a layer in ArcGIS Online that I overwrite/update from Pro. But the process breaks the views I have created from the primary layer with an area of interest defined. I have to delete the views and re-create. Is there a workaround?  

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Jim,

This sounds like a bug to me. If you are permitted to overwrite the layer, it shouldn't corrupt the view. I'd like someone to look into your usecase further.

Can you get in touch with tech support to make sure it gets logged?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CoalingaAGOLAdmin
New Contributor

Has this been looked into / logged by ESRI? Also experiencing corrupted views after overwriting the original service with a new feature.

0 Kudos
ZacharyNeumannQK
New Contributor II

Having the same issue. Has this been fixed?

0 Kudos
KellyTaylor
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue off and on. I'll overwrite a feature service and the view layer loses all its data, I then overwrite it again and the data is back. A couple of times I've had to overwrite a service 5-10 times before its view layer was restored. Once I even just remade the view layer and started over. Any solutions to this bug??

0 Kudos