Order of layers in your ArcGIS Online Web Map

09-27-2016 01:29 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=4063465f-44d6-46f9-...

As we all know: "Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap and feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps and tileset layers (map, imagery, and tiles). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap."

I am currently working with WFS services, WMTS services, Feature Services and Map Image Layers within the same web map, and I would like to be able to order the Map Image Layer on top of WFS services (without having to create a Feature Service to replace this Map Service - too many features)

Any work around?

Any plans on changing this ordering limitation in the next AGOL release?

Thanks!

Alix

16 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Carol,

I updated the information above. If both layers have been added as feature layers, they should draw in the order of the TOC. Can you share your web map?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
GavinRunyon
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Edit July 2018: Pop Ups do display in a specific order. With feature layers, the pop ups will display in an order corresponding with the feature layers in the Table of Contents. Map Image Layers and tile layers do not fall within this order.

Does this only apply on ArcGIS Online, or in Portal as well? We're on version 10.6.1. Do the feature layers services have to be published separately, or can you order multiple layer services from the same feature layer?

Thank you,

Gavin

0 Kudos
SofiaValentin1
New Contributor III

I would also really appreciate the ability to order layers in ArcGIS Online/Portal. Specifically now I am fuming about not being able to put a map service on top of my many feature services. Since I cannot make subtypes into labels with arcade functions, and I cannot publish a feature service with labels from the beginning I have published a map service with the labels I want. But I cannot put it on top of the feature service polygons!

Extremely frustrating! And I am sure that having the ability to order layers freely will benefit many people and functions in the future. 

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Sofia,

Check out the next generation map viewer to see the ability to re-order layers of any type. more information about map viewer beta can be found here: ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Beta

-Kelly

CarlynneWorsham
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly, 

Has the option to re-order layers of any type been implemented yet? I also find having to put image or tile layers at the bottom of the TOC incredibly restrictive. Sometimes I want to have an image layer because I want the layer to render quickly but I can't label this layer because the labels will be covered by the data from the Feature Service layers. 

You can see a good example of this problem in the two attached screen shots. In the MapImage_1, you can see the "S" circled in red peeping out in the map and it looks strange. This is because the layer with graduated colors is hiding the rest of the text, "United State." In the second image, I removed the graduated colors layer so you can see what's hiding underneath. 

Thanks,

Lyndy

0 Kudos
dns
by
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Is this functionality not available in Web App Builder? I am running into a problem where it will still rearrange the order when the application launched, but in the web map it has the desired order.

0 Kudos
EricKriener
Occasional Contributor

THIS THIS THIS!!! I have vector tile layers with labels and street lines that I want on TOP of district polygons in my WAB maps, but they are getting put underneath... @KellyGerrow HELP!

0 Kudos