Order Layer Problem - Table of Contents

11-17-2011 07:02 AM
JamesCucinelli
Occasional Contributor II
I am trying to create an arcgis.com online map with congressional districts from my arcgis server as the top layer and then cancer mortality rates mapped thematically with county or state polygons from a different arcgis server service.

If I add congressional districts first, they appear.

then I add county rates, they go on top.

If I go into the Table of Contents and move the congressional districts back to the top, they don't really move to the top in my map.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
James Cucinelli
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm not 100% sure it will fix existing maps...however, what I was able to test out is that any reordering of layers is being preserved. If it doesn't fix the map immediately, I believe if you reorder some layers, then save your map, it probably will fix any problem.

As far as your symbolization issue, I am not able to reproduce this looking at your map.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e0e52db628584b93a1be91abe33c6d77

I was able to change the symbols of, for example, the trail caution areas. What browser and version are you using? Can you try clearing your browser cache and opening the map again?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
StephanieWidas
New Contributor III
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.  I have the problem changing the symbology in both Firefox (9.0.1) and Internet Explorer 7.  I cleared the cache as you suggested, but it did not have any effect.  I tried a few things and I discovered that if I save the map and sign out, the next time I open the map I can change the symbology.  Simply saving the map, however, doesn't help.  I must close out of it and reopen it on ArcGIS.com.  Once I change the symbology on the trails layer (unique symbology), I can't change my other layer until I save, close and open the map again.

Here is a test map with just two layers, a point (single symbol) and a linear layer (unique symbology):
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=ec05ddcc1fdd4efdb788a99b44a9a41d

If I change the color of one of the trails (let's say I change primary trails to purple) and then I try to change my points (for example, to a blue pushpin), the points do not change.  To change the points, I have to save, close, and reopen the map. 

On a side note, the points are drawing under the trails.  The trails were added first, then the points... and the layers were never rearranged.  In this case, the order in which the layers were added doesn't match the draw order - and there are only 2 layers.  :confused: Fortunately, your work around fixed my other map though!

Thanks again,
Stephanie
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to document the symbolizing problem. I can reproduce the problem and will document this issue. Unfortunately, it won't be fixed for our upcoming release in 2 weeks, but we'll get it in the next one. This problem only seems to appear when you override an individual symbol when using the unique symbols option. You can symbolize the points by changing the lines to single symbol again, symbolizing the points, then using unique symbols for the lines again.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EmilyGreenlee
New Contributor
I am encountering the same problem as described above. ArcGIS Online content draws on top of all other layers each time I open my map, despite re-ordering and saving it in the table of contents. The map is here:http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7e48bd9161ca41f5b3aa9fa670cf15c8 and the "Counties" layer, specifically, keeps appearing on top. Please advise.
Emily
0 Kudos
AngeloMarino
Occasional Contributor
I have created a map several times using both a map service and a feature service.  Regardless of how I bring the services into the map, the map service always goes to the bottom of the draw order.  I would like to bring it to the top.  Is there any way to do this?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Nashua,

No there is no way to draw map services on top of feature services. Map services return images that the web browser displays as an image. Feature services are vectors drawn by the browser and always appear on top of images.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Emily,

We can reproduce your issue and are investigating it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AngeloMarino
Occasional Contributor
Nashua,

No there is no way to draw feature services on top of map services. Map services return images that the web browser displays as an image. Feature services are vectors drawn by the browser and always appear on top of images.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks.  The reason I need a map service and a feature service is because feature services do not support labeling so I use the same features in the map service for labels.  Is that in the works for a release some time soon?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Nashua,

Sorry, the wording in my post above was backwards. It should have said "there is no way to draw map services on top of feature services". This is something we can't overcome because the implementation relies on the browser's ability to draw on the page. All features in a feature service are drawn by the browser over the page.

I suppose another option would be to allow feature services to support labeling. I have not heard anything on this front, so I don't believe anything will happen soon. Perhaps even a third option would be to support some sort of labeling layer.

Is it possible to add the layer that represents your feature service into the map service? Or perhaps you are editing the features.

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Emily,

We have tracked down the problem with the counties appearing on top of the contents. Unfortunately, there is not an immediate fix,as the issue is a bit complicated. This will not be fixed in our upcoming release. However, it is logged as an issue that we will address in the following release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos