Open this map in ArcGIS 10 doesn't work

04-25-2011 10:08 AM
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
I can add online maps/layers to Desktop 10 if I add them from ArcMap using Add Data, but if I'm looking at a map in ArcGIS Online and I click the link "Open this map in ArcGIS Desktop 10" it doesn't work. I get the "Opening item.pkinfo" dialog and it defaults to ArcGIS File Handler and I click OK. Then I get a "could not open the specified file error" every time. If ArcMap is closed, it does start the application, but then the error appears. If ArcMap is open, I just get the error.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Hi Fraser
Sorry about the delay with this.  We're going to put this fix into the next service pack for 10.0, Service Pack 3, which will be released later this year. This fix will enable you to open an ArcGIS web map in ArcMap 10.0 but this unfortunately won't add support for all the new functionality and data types that have been added into ArcGIS web maps in the last couple of weeks, such as CSV and SHP files. As the ArcGIS Online platform moves ahead and the range of data that can be used in an ArcGIS web map is enhanced, the Desktop platform won't be fully in-sync with the new functionality until we release 10.1 next year. So although 10.0 SP3 will let you open an web map, not all of its contents will be supported. For the workflow you are looking to do, your best bet is to manually add the map services that you want to work with into your ArcMap map document by connecting to them in the GIS Servers folder of the Catalog. Sorry again for the limitations in this area.
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Just a note that ArcGIS 10.0 for Desktop Service Pack 3 is now available:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=160&MetaID=1802

This update enables ArcMap to open web maps. When you open a web map, a map document is automatically created and saved in a folder named after the web map in your My Documents > ArcGIS > Web Maps folder.

Note: The support for web maps in 10.0 Service Pack 3 is limited. It doesn't provide support for all the different types of data found in a web map, so some web map content is dropped out when you open a web map in ArcMap. It does support ArcGIS map services, ArcGIS image services and OGC WMS services. It does not support web map layers based on uploaded shapefiles, CSV files, GPX files, KML network links, or map note features (feature collections simply drawn on the map with the drawing tools in the web clients). Web maps containing these unsupported layers can still be opened in ArcMap but the unsupported layer types are dropped out and don't appear in ArcMap. Also note that in Service Pack 3 some web maps may take several minutes to open in ArcMap.

Support for the full range of web map content is coming in the ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 release in Q1 2012.

Sorry again about the lack of full compatibility at this point in the desktop clients with the latest functionality in the ArcGIS web map format.
0 Kudos
StevenRick
New Contributor

Rupert Essinger,

I know this is a thread from 2011 but its the only information I've come across so far about the same problem. I've using ArcGIS for desktop, 10.2 and having the exact same problem as described here. Online in my browser I'm able to open a map without issue and show it on the online map viewer, but selecting Open in ArcGIS for Desktop downloads a item.pkinfo file which I am unable to do anything with. Have I made some sort of mistake here or is there still a compatibility issue here?

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steven, not sure - I just tried a map and it opened in desktop for me (10.2.1). It took a while -- I had a message that said "finalizing setup" for a minute or two, but then it opened. I will try some more maps tomorrow. What happens when you try to open the pk.info file?

Tim

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

I'm having the exact issue as the original poster with 10.3.1 (several years later). A friend with 10.3.1 was able to successfully open the same exact map using the exact same method that failed for me.

I get the item.pkinfo downloaded, but can't get it to open in any fashion in 10.3.1. "Could not open the specified file" when dropping into Desktop window. Double-clicking gives "Problem sending the command to the program."  Are there any ideas on where to start looking for why mine crashes and his didn't? Hoping it's something really obvious that I'm just oblivious to.

LizKuhn
New Contributor

And I am having the exact same issue as the original poster and I am using 10.5.0 (many years later). When I do an 'Analyze Base Map' I get the error message 'Data frame does not have a spatial reference' for Street Severity is high, Status is Unresolved and Code is 00002.

0 Kudos
LaurenHargis1
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I am using 10.3.1 and my organization also gave me remote access to 10.5.1 in case the updated version was working. I am still getting the same error message "Code:00002, "Data frame does not have a spatial reference" in both 10.3.1 and 10.5.1. The web map that I'm trying to access is a customized base map. I don't know whether that makes a difference or not. I've set the coordinate system of the data frame, and it seems to clear the error indicator, but no map is drawn. If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be extremely helpful! I just spent a LONG time creating a custom basemap for my organization, and I'd hate to think that we can't access it outside of ArcGIS Online. Thanks in advance  

0 Kudos