Only see layer 0 in ArcMap when adding data from ArcGIS Online. BUG??

08-17-2016 01:58 PM
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

I have multiple feature services published to ArcGIS Online that contain more than one layer.  I often add this data to ArcMap straight from ArcGIS Online in order to perform local edits.  I've noticed with some of my services that I only see layer 0 when I add the data to ArcMap, which is a pretty big nuisance, because with these services I can only view and perform edits to layer 0 in ArcMap.  Any other layers just don't show up in the table of contents (i.e. 1,2,3, etc).

As I mentioned, this only occurs with some of my layers.  The only difference that I can see between the services that experience this issue and the ones that don't:  Services that only show layer 0 in ArcMap were published with symbolgy that is attribute based rather than feature only; specifically, layer 0 is symbolized based on attribute data, and all other layers are "feature only" symbology.  

My services that are published with all layers symbolized as "feature only" seem to function correctly when brought into ArcMap.

At this point I'd like to think that I'm onto a bug:

If you publish multiple layers to a FS on AGOL, and the symbology for layer zero is attribute based, it appears that layer 0 is the only layer that makes it down to ArcMap for local viewing/ editing when added from AGOL.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks.

-Brant

20 Replies
NW-AllyBuccanero-GISS
New Contributor III

I am currently experiencing this issue. I don't believe the feature service being saved in a map with layers checked 'off' is at the root of my problem, as the service is used for mobile data collection with the S1Mobile app, rather than Collector. It appears to be happening across all of the feature services with multiple layers that I've tested.

The workaround of using My Hosted Services isn't very helpful, as most users who need to access collected data don't own the feature service, and it throws a wrench in data collection workflows where syncing changes back and forth from the field to ArcMap is needed.

Any updates on the bug?