Only add points within polygon

04-09-2021 01:27 PM
Labels (2)
RyanPiper
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm working on a service for public consumption that involves adding points of interest on a map within certain boundaries. I want to ensure that the points that are added are ONLY within these boundaries (polygons). How do I go about doing this in Arcgis Online? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can use a view layer with a defined area of interest. The main layer could have points added anywhere, but the spatially-defined view would filter any points outside of the AOI.

You could also use Python to search for non-intersecting points and delete them and schedule the script to run at regular intervals, if you wanted a more advanced approach.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MattHuser
New Contributor II

There are a couple ways you can do this depending on how specific you want the boundaries to be and what solution you want to use.  I believe Citizen Problem Reporter has a geofence capability and at the organizational level you can set an extent that could work with Survey123. However, if you want to have multiple boundaries at once, I think you might have to create some automation like @jcarlson suggested or what Nick suggests here 

-Matt