Number of visits to site and credits.

Jump to solution
08-11-2021 03:22 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there any problem with having a "large" number of views for an arcgis online dashboard? I am working on a power outage dashboard for our organization. It is hard to say what the traffic would be. But we have a little over 100,000 customers. If there was a major event (a fall storm) in our community maybe 10% (10,000) of the customers would hit the dashboard. The worst case is every single customer wants to go to the site at the same time (I don't think this is ever going to happen). 

a) Is ArcGIS online going to be able to handle this surge in traffic?

b) Do we get charged credits based on traffic?

c) Also, right now I am planning on uploading a csv file with the outage information every few minutes for visualization. The python overwrites the existing data in AGO. Most of the time the csv will only have 1 or 2 rows. Do we get charged credits every time we upload a file or is it just the storage of the file?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @forestknutsen1 - thanks for the questions. Let me elaborate a little bit on some of the responses that @LongDinh posted. 

a) It is correct that there are protective measures in place against the hosted feature layer infrastructure, but these will only kick in if the app is configured in a way that is not scalable. Apps that are configured to scale are designed to not run into these limits. ArcGIS Online has had apps get millions of hits per hour. Here is a good reference on configuring your app to be scalable: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/data-management/essential-configurations-for...

b) No credits charged for viewing a web application or Dashboard unless it has premium content. You pay the same cost for hosted feature layer storage no matter if the layers are viewed a million or a handful of times. 

c) This is correct - unless you are geocoding for each overwrite, there will not be credit usage for the overwriting - just the storage of the files and hosted feature layers. If the outage information is a table or uses X/Y coordinates, then no concerns here. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @forestknutsen1 

a) This may only apply to public facing items so I'm not sure. There is a traffic limit on requests to service items in AGO. I believe it is set to something like 10,000 requests in < 1 minute before it stops further requests. This is considered a DOS attack and the service will cease to return any response.

b) Credits get charged depending on the type of transaction. Here is a link which provides estimates for each capability. For viewing information, it mostly charged as storage.

c) It should count as storage every time you upload an item to AGO.

Hope this helps!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @forestknutsen1 - thanks for the questions. Let me elaborate a little bit on some of the responses that @LongDinh posted. 

a) It is correct that there are protective measures in place against the hosted feature layer infrastructure, but these will only kick in if the app is configured in a way that is not scalable. Apps that are configured to scale are designed to not run into these limits. ArcGIS Online has had apps get millions of hits per hour. Here is a good reference on configuring your app to be scalable: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/data-management/essential-configurations-for...

b) No credits charged for viewing a web application or Dashboard unless it has premium content. You pay the same cost for hosted feature layer storage no matter if the layers are viewed a million or a handful of times. 

c) This is correct - unless you are geocoding for each overwrite, there will not be credit usage for the overwriting - just the storage of the files and hosted feature layers. If the outage information is a table or uses X/Y coordinates, then no concerns here. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like we are going to be in good shape to use AGO for our public map 🙂