New Map Viewer Repeat Labels

05-11-2021 01:56 PM
James_Norquest
New Contributor II

I may be missing something simple here but I have this issue in the new map viewer as well as in experience builder. I am getting repeat labels that make these new products basically unusable. Has anyone else had this issue? It works fine in map viewer classic and webapp builder. 

Thanks!

James_Norquest_0-1620766519731.png

10 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a current known limitation in 4.x based JSAPI apps like Map Viewer and Experience Builder. I don't have an exact date for the release that will address this but thanks for your feedback and I've brought this post up with the team.

KathrynBauer
New Contributor

I have the same issue James. The only way I have found to work around it and space the labels is to change the posting from a specific attribute i.e. NAME  and add spaces after using an Arcade expression.

Click on the </> icon to the right of the value in the Label Field

KathrynBauer_1-1625614841400.png

KathrynBauer_0-1625614570133.png

James_Norquest
New Contributor II

Kathryn,

This is a clever work around, I will give it a try. I hope they continue to give us more flexibility with labels as new releases come out.

0 Kudos
MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

I'd like to add that in addition to the line labels repeating in the New Map Viewer, there needs to be an option for line placement, e.g., above the line, below, etc.  Trying to label a map of road centerlines is relatively painful when the major roads label every 100-200 feet and you'd also like to have the labels appear above the roads.  I realize this is may be cartographically splitting hairs, but labeling is definitely not a one-size-fits-all approach.  Hoping that later releases of the Map Viewer will address this as well.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

additional label placements is something we would like to add in a future release and is dependent on API support. This can be tracked through this ENH request  ENH-000130376

Thanks for the feedback!

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We just updated Map Viewer with some label enhancements. For lines you can now choose to repeat a label along a line feature and set the distance between repeats. You can also allow label overruns for cases where the label can be still displayed on smaller features.

LineLabels.gif

0 Kudos
ChelseaSturgal
New Contributor

Is this available in portal/enterprise? I am not seeing a repeat option only placement.

0 Kudos
DavinShokes1
Occasional Contributor II

In your example, "Anderson Way" is repeated with and without the interval. How can you make it so the label only appears once per line?

I've try turning interval off and setting interval to 50000+, but the labels still repeat too frequently in Field Maps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Anderson way was 3 different features in that case

RussellRoberts1_0-1658934016593.png

For Field Maps support for this you would have to post that in their forum.  

In web maps the property would be under labelinginfo

https://developers.arcgis.com/web-map-specification/objects/labelingInfo/

repeatLabelA boolean value indicating whether or not to repeat the label along the feature. If true, the label will be repeated according to the repeatLabelDistance.
repeatLabelDistanceThe repeat label distance used when repeatLabel is true. It represents a screen distance in points.