New Map Viewer - Loss of HTML Pop UP Builder - Change to How Number Fields are Formatted in Links

04-14-2021 07:49 AM
PaulVepraskas
Occasional Contributor

Today ESRI gave our users a pop up that asked if they wanted to change to the new map viewer that is now out of beta and some of my users have chosen to do so and in the few minutes we have one that we found 2 big issues?  

First issue is the new Map Viewer will recognize popups you created with the HTML option in the old viewer but you will not be able to edit them in the new viewer.  So if you create a custom look/form in the old viewer using the HTML option, your users would lose this functionality in the new version if you need to make a change.

Second is a bug on how the new map viewer passes number fields via URLs to other programs like survey123 or JavaScript API.  In my case we pass the X and Y to other programs from the pop up.  The new map viewer adds a comma to these values essentially breaking the link.  Yes a fix for that is to go into the map viewer and turn off the commas but that means you have to do that for every layer in every map that you are utilizing that feature.  

Example

(Old Map Viewer) xgeo=2496810.3036512136&ygeo=394099.1572907269

(New Map Viewer) xgeo=2%2C496%2C693.64&ygeo=394%2C094.78

Both of these seem like steps backwards?

10 Replies
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

That's not good, as I use the custom URL for all sorts of Survey123 trickery,

ESRI recently posted a functionality guidance document as a blog post. 

I started a thread post about a compatibility guide and started a "undocumented" features missing reply. Maybe we should start to document these missing features in one spot. 

0 Kudos
PaulVepraskas
Occasional Contributor

Yup, and I tie them into large HTML buttons in the popups so tablet users have a large area to click on in various field conditions instead of a small url.  

0 Kudos
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

One of my most favorite of features for sure, nothing better than a honking big button to send data to Survey123.

Survey123 URL Generator and Cool Buttons 

This URL above is very good at just teaching the basic of the URL, the buttonfactory link is a bit outdated but the image frame is pretty easy to modify.

0 Kudos
PaulVepraskas
Occasional Contributor

It appears in the new map viewer if you want to create a large button for say the collector app in the pop up, you would create add am image to the pop up and configure the link for image to open survey123.   You still lose all the HTML formatting for the rest of your old forms.

0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor

Paul thanks for reporting the issue with the url, we'll take a look.  If its possible you send me a link to your map so i can take a closer look, if not can you send me a direct message with the popup html please.

Regarding the lack of custom html formatting in the new Map Viewer.  That is something on the roadmap that we're working towards.  We recognize that its an important piece of functionality and are looking to support it in a future update, and give users an easy to use secure way to add custom html to pop-ups.

ErnestoCarreras2
New Contributor III

Hi Paul! I found this post while researching regarding the lack of support for custom HTML popups in the new map viewer. It is my understanding that we have until July to migrate from the classic to the new map viewer. This is something that concerns me since all my web maps use custom HTML popups. Is Esri going to have a solution before  that cutoff date regarding these type of popups? It will be unfortunate to lose this functionality and more if the new map viewer respects the configuration but won't allow users to edit it. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor

@ErnestoCarreras2 I wouldn't expect you to be forced into migrating to the new map viewer in July.   As I stated above we recognize this is an important workflow for many users and for others it is essential for migrating existing pop-ups that have significant customization.  We're hoping to have this limitation resolved later on this year but it will be after July most likely.

0 Kudos
TaraHaynes
Occasional Contributor

@PaulBarker  Coming to this thread with the same issue as the other users.... do you know if there are any plans to implement this before the end of the year? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ErnestoCarreras2
New Contributor III

Thanks for he quick response. So just to be clear, is the classic viewer will be available until the end of the year?

0 Kudos