New Map Viewer Does Not Honor Field Configurations

Jump to solution
04-23-2021 05:55 AM
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

The problem that I'm having is that when using the New Map Viewer in ArcGIS Online to edit data in a web map, folks are able to view and edit all fields of the layer, even fields that have been set to not visible and/or not editable.

Background: I published layers and created views. After I created the views in AGOL, from the Data tab, I configured the pop-up to make some fields not editable but visible, and some fields not editable or visible, and several fields both editable and visible. Then I added those layers to a web map (classic viewer) and saved it.

Behavior in classic map viewer: when a user clicks on a feature and edits it, or adds a new feature, they do not see any fields that are set to not visible, and if the field is set to visible but not editable, they can see it, but they cannot add data to it (it's grayed out).

Behavior in new map viewer: when user clicks on Edit on the right panel and then chooses either edit a feature or add a feature, they have access to view and edit every field of the layer, regardless of the visibility and editability of the pop-up configuration. Now I will note that when a user simply clicks on a feature to view the information, the pop-up configuration is honored as far as which fields are visible. I do not see anywhere in the new map viewer where it is honoring the "Edit" property of the pop-up configuration that is set at the layer level.

If there is a way to restrict the user from editing certain fields within a layer in the new map viewer, please let me know. However, this could potentially take a long time as we have so many layers and maps that would need to be updated. I'm concerned that our users all have access to the new map viewer and can now edit every field.

@jtmouw1 

Tags (3)
21 Replies
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Is the fix planned for an upcoming release? 

This continues to be a problem for us.

ChristySpielman
New Contributor II

Yes, this continues to be a problem for us too.  For example, I need users to be able to see the Unique ID of records but I don't want them editing those of course!  

GrantHoward1
New Contributor III

Yikes! This is a pretty bad bug. With this bug there is no more data integrity! We have users that use the Old Map Viewer, the New Map Viewer and mobile devices. So far from what I can tell this bug only has affects within the New Map Viewer. So if I don't use the New Map Viewer can I be assured that all my layers within all my maps will continue to honor the 'configure attributes' settings I've applied? I hope this is a high priority fix for ESRI.

DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

Hi @MJBiazar , thanks for this confirmation. Did this work at one point? Memory tells me it did... In ay case, do when the bug will be addressed? It would be great to have the edit hot link on the popup to edit attributes giving the user fewer clicks just to get to the attributes.

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

This issue is planned to be addressed to some extent in the upcoming release (currently planned for tonight 12/8). With this fix, Map Viewer will honor the attribute fields configuration and won't allow editing fields that are set to not-editable in the pop up configuration for the feature layer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

In order to hide some attribute fields, you can use view layers and set attribute definitions. By doing so, the fields that are not included in the view layer won't be visible and hence not editable in the Map Viewer. 

(*In the new release creating a view layer interface has been updated to provide a better user experience)

3.jpg

4.jpg

And... here is the more exciting part and a sneak peak to a new functionality in this ArcGIS Online release which provides a better experience for controlling fields visibility and editability.

Now you can use Forms (similar to what you might be already familiar with in Field Maps) in Map Viewer to control which field should be visible/editable on your map when adding/editing features. 

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I hope this answers your some of your questions and provides a viable solution. Please feel free to post any additional questions here or by reaching out to Technical Support.

All the best,

MJ

FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

I checked the new map viewer with an existing map and things look great! When I edit a feature, I can see fields that are set to visible, but not editable, and I cannot edit them. I cannot see fields that are set to not visible (I don't have any fields set to not visible but editable). It's exactly how I expected it to work.

MJ - thank you for the thorough response with screenshots. I'm so pleased that Esri finally fixed this! I like the new form capability as well, that will help us make a better editing environment in AGOL.

JTLancer
New Contributor II

This appears to be fixed in the New Map Viewer.  However in the Classic Map Viewer, I am still seeing cases where this is not fixed. See screenshots below.  This is an address feature service published from our Enterprise.  All attributes are unchecked to disable editing of any attributes.  

I can definitely still go into edit mode and expose every field for editing. 

Thanks for the update @@MJBiazar , but ESRI may want to look into this some more specifically in Classic Maps.  I'm not sure why @GrantHoward1 was not seeing this in the classic map viewer but I certainly am. I  agree that this is a major oversight that could have some catastrophic consequences.  We as an organization have many edit apps out there and to think that everything is potentially exposed for editing every field is more than unsettling.

JTLancer_0-1639152983275.png

JTLancer_1-1639153048163.png

0 Kudos
GrantHoward1
New Contributor III

Good Morning,
I agree with @FaithSJohnson - thanks for ESRI for fixing this issue, and I too am excited to try using the form capabilities in the new map viewer.

Hi @JTLancer , I just checked a couple of layers in a couple different web maps in the classic map viewer and I am not seeing any issues regarding the attribute settings for 'display' & 'edit' settings like you have in your screenshot. I also only previously saw the issues in the new map viewer. I never did see those issues in the classic map viewer. The layers I checked were hosted features.

Thanks,
Grant

0 Kudos
JTLancer
New Contributor II

@GrantHoward1  After some further testing on my end, the issue appears to be fixed when I create a new map and use the same feature service and modify the display/edit attribute settings.  I wonder if the maps that I created before were during a window of time when this was not working and is persisting. The maps that I have tested were both created over the last couple of weeks. 

Anyhow, I will follow up with ESRI support regarding the issue.  Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
CFrost
by
New Contributor II

Any advancements on this issue?  I use Enterprise which I have found is last to get some of the updates that AGOL receives.  I've reviewed the potential solutions and it doesn't appear that these are options currently.  It's far from ideal when having to use non technical staff to create and edit data.