Name of the parameters in shapefile change in numbers when uploading in ArcGIS Online Web Scene

03-18-2021 03:49 AM
UmbertoCarenzo95
New Contributor III

Good morning. I have a shapefile which is referred to a building, in this shapefile i joined a table of attributes referred to the overall building, and i have on visualizing the names and the values of them in ArcGIS Pro. When i use Feature class to shapefile to create a folder, which i upload in my Content page in ArcGIS Online, the names of all the parameters, both the ones already existing both the ones deriving from the join change into numbers. Do you have any idea on what should be the motivation? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you confirm what the actual field names are prior to uploading? It looks like maybe AGOL is dropping the field aliases somehow, and I suspect it has to do with the shapefile export process. If you're just exporting to cement the join in place, I would still open the output layer in Pro to reconfigure the field names/aliases prior to publishing.

However, there's no need to export to a file and then upload. You should be about to publish the feature layer directly from Pro, which would do a better job of retaining field names and aliases. Plus you could publish from a feature class in a GDB, so that you're not stuck with truncated field names.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
UmbertoCarenzo95
New Contributor III

Thank you for your response.

1) the actual field names are in the first screenshot in my first message in the topic.

2) i will try to publish directly from ArcGIS Pro, maybe as you say this will help to maintain the real names.

3) i did not understood what you are saying in the last sentence: you are telling me to convert the shapefile in a GDB and then publish it?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The screenshot looks like it's showing aliases. A field name in a shapefile cannot exceed 10 characters, and shouldn't allow spaces, so "Particella catastale" is almost certainly not the field name as it is being stored in the file.

jcarlson_0-1616073884866.png

Right-click the layer and go to Design → Fields, then see what the field names are being stored as.

jcarlson_1-1616073997810.png

And to that final point: in a GDB, a feature class's field name can go up to 64 characters instead of 10, allowing you a bit more freedom in naming your fields prior to publishing, so that you're not left with confusing abbreviations, as can often happen with SHP fields.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
UmbertoCarenzo95
New Contributor III

Thank you for your answer again. I did as you suggested and, as you can see, the field name has the structure RVTtoPRO_Overall_ExceltoTable."name of the Parameter from Revit", so it has not any kind of numbers in the name, as shown in ArcGIS Online.

I'm now trying to publish directly from ArcGIS Pro, fingers crossed i hope it will work!

And for the last point, you are saying that, for example, the name of the field of a certain parameter would be expressed completely and not truncated using that inside of a GDB,correct?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In a GDB, it will still be truncated if it's longer than 64 characters, but otherwise, yes.

That's why I suggest moving it to a GDB first. In the Fields view, you should also be able to modify the field names, so that instead of "RVTtoPRO_Overall_ExcelToTable.FDIFC_ID", you could change it to just "FDIFC_ID".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos