Multiple features (e.g., sampling events) represented by one point?

02-08-2018 09:23 PM
deleted-user-LNABNwA5CZcD
New Contributor III

I've looked probably too hard at this point but am sure there must be an easy way to do this.

I do a lot of sampling. Our sampling locations are the same. What I would like to display in ArcGIS Online (be it a map or Web App) is a single point where you can click, and in the pop-up is a table of past results for the site.

It's almost like collector, but I want to see the history displayed, too. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Sam,

You can approach this one of two ways.

1.  create a field for each sample date so the data is stored as multiple attributes for a given dataset.

2. If you have multiple fields that need to added for each dataset, try using related records to record the sample and relate the tables to a single location.

Create Relationship Class—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Pop-ups can be constructed to display the values in related tables from one location:

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
deleted-user-LNABNwA5CZcD
New Contributor III

Kelly, I'd really rather not create additional fields with each sampling. I'd like to be able to simply fill out a form for each sampling site/event and have it populate a table like this:

SiteDateNitrogen (mg/L)Phosphorous (mg/L)
1T1/1/18

2T1/1/180.40.35
1T2/1/180.150.4
2T2/1/180.30.7
1T3/1/180.61.0
2T3/1/181.11.5

The map would have a single point for 1T and for 2T. Upon clicking, a pop-up would show something like the above table or perhaps even a chart of change over time.

My ideal is to manage data in a Google Spreadsheet, then have the sampling events at least listed (and perhaps charted or statistically summarized) in a single pop-up (rather than clicking through the pop-up windows for each event/feature).

One point, one pop-up compiling multiple features with a common site name.

Let me know if there are any other questions. I feel like this must exist somewhere somehow and I'm missing it.

I thought of another way to say it after playing with clustering, which I figured might be a pathway to a solution but does not appear to be (yet). Let's say this was achievable through clustering. When clicking on a cluster point that might have clustered three points, I want the pop-up to list out (ideally in a table and/or chart, but I'm open to other options) all the fields for all the features (same Site, multiple sampling events). I might also want summary info (e.g., average), too, but we'll really want to see how data changes over time.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks Sam,

Check out using related records (Option 2 above). This should accomplish what you are looking to do.

This web map should have a similar data structure to what you have described:

http://arcg.is/1zy1mz 

Try clicking at the B13-9193 station for an item with corresponding related records

-Kelly

0 Kudos