Multiple feature types in hosted feature layers - why?

Jump to solution
11-23-2017 03:53 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

I have a Feature Layer in my ArcGIS Online content, containing points, originally created as Map Notes. I can add it to a map but cannot symbolise it. I believe I need to turn it into a Hosted Feature Layer to do this, so Published the item.

Now, when I add the (hosted feature layer) item to a map, it brings in four layers: points, lines, areas, and text. There are no lines, areas or text and never will be. I am creating this for a student exercise and to have four things come in is confusing. How can I fix this? I need to be able to get the students to symbolise the points as they wish.

I cannot see a way to delete the unwanted layers from Item Details. Nor can I simply Save the points layer to a new item on its own.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Katy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatyAppleton1

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the explanation - that is quite some workaround!

The context will show why that might be overkill in this situation: I give my students a point layer of hospital locations and ask them to create drive times. I then want them to be able to present those simple results in a style of their choosing. They can change the drive time colours but the hospital points are stuck as green crosses (I guess there are worse symbols for a hospital!).

Further to your response, Alfie at ESRI UK tech support sent this workaround when I opened this query as a case with them:

1. Add your hosted feature layer to the map (the map notes layer which brings in 4 layers: points, lines, areas and test)
  2. Navigate to the points layer in the table of contents and click the three dots
  3. Click 'Copy' 
  4. Navigate to the copied points layer in the table of contents and click the three dots
  5. Click 'Save Layer'

The point features should now be saved within you contents as a feature layer. You can turn this into hosted feature layer if you wish. 

I have used this and it's fine. Your response reminded me that I meant to come over and post the solution here as well. I appreciate your efforts but I will stick with the simple solution!

Katy

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Katy

By default Map notes layers create a point, polygon and line feature layer to provide users using map notes flexibility to create multiple geometry types within a simple layer. When publishing from the map notes this can result in additional layers being published. I understand that you are looking for a quick way to create a point feature layer that you can modify the symbology, so we'll look into ways of improving this.

For the time being try the following options to work around this issue

1. Create a blank feature service for your exact purpose and define your own schema using https://developers.arcgis.com (you can login with and ArcGIS Online organization account) or use a feature service template or existing feature service. This will give you flexibility in determining the geometry type and field names.https://developers.arcgis.com/labs/data/create-a-new-dataset/

2. Follow the same workflow to publish a feature service from a map notes layer. Make the feature service editable and change the layer to be symbolized by location only in Map Viewer or the visualization tab. This will clear the pre-created feature template of stick pin, etc. Manually add the geometry type of choice (points in your case)  via REST URL from the feature service into the Web Map following the add an ArcGIS Server Web Service

Example: https://services5.arcgis.com/cuQhNeNcUrgLmYGD/arcgis/rest/services/Map_Notes_FC/FeatureServer/1 

What are your students mapping with point feature layers? Could you provide some details about the assignment?

Do they need to be editable?

Thanks for reporting the issue.

-Kelly

KatyAppleton1

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the explanation - that is quite some workaround!

The context will show why that might be overkill in this situation: I give my students a point layer of hospital locations and ask them to create drive times. I then want them to be able to present those simple results in a style of their choosing. They can change the drive time colours but the hospital points are stuck as green crosses (I guess there are worse symbols for a hospital!).

Further to your response, Alfie at ESRI UK tech support sent this workaround when I opened this query as a case with them:

1. Add your hosted feature layer to the map (the map notes layer which brings in 4 layers: points, lines, areas and test)
  2. Navigate to the points layer in the table of contents and click the three dots
  3. Click 'Copy' 
  4. Navigate to the copied points layer in the table of contents and click the three dots
  5. Click 'Save Layer'

The point features should now be saved within you contents as a feature layer. You can turn this into hosted feature layer if you wish. 

I have used this and it's fine. Your response reminded me that I meant to come over and post the solution here as well. I appreciate your efforts but I will stick with the simple solution!

Katy

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks Katy,

The workaround provided by Alfie is much more straight forward than the ones I suggested. I remarked your answer as correct to give you the points . Thanks for the context of the assignment. Are your students selecting the points manually or are they using existing hospital?

As you pointed out, the workaround is pretty extensive for your needs so we'll look into how we can improve this simple workflow.

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

The points are existing hospitals. This is a very simple, early exercise in Online, where I am introducing the idea of calculating driving time, and subsequently the idea of being able to change the appearance of items on the map.

Thanks for the points! 

0 Kudos