More than 2 Attributes?

Jump to solution
02-08-2017 04:55 PM
JessicaPorter
New Contributor

Can you map more than 2 attributes at a time for any given layer? If so, how? My layer data was a CSV file that contained all of the different things I might like to make a map out of (say, annual income, name, giving history, etc).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Smart Mapping displays the available renders for the data that you want to map to best visualize your data, depending on how you want to display your data. This table in the help explains what styles are available to the type of features and data types in your feature layer. Check this out to see if any of the available options will meet your needs:

Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Leith_JohnHAWKINS
New Contributor III

You can  but its fairly limited !

From the Symbology Tab you cn select the Value fields you want to use!

Multiple Attributes

Leith_JohnHAWKINS
New Contributor III

Just select the Multiple Attributes option in symbology

0 Kudos
JessicaPorter
New Contributor

This is what my screen looks like. I don

This is what my screen looks like. Are we talking about the same program...?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jessica,

You are using ArcGIS Online. The earlier post mentioned ArcMap (Desktop). They are not the same program.

You can symbolize based on more than one attribute but typically you can use one text attribute and maybe up to 4 or 5 numeric ones.

In AGOL, click on the "Change Style" button , then drop down the attribute list to what you want to symbolize:

(pick something other than location only)

After that, you have the option of adding another attribute:

JessicaPorter
New Contributor

It's only giving me the option to add one. After I've got two attributes, the "add attribute" button disappears.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jessica,

You have reached the limitation. I cannot find the documentation on this but basically, you can style your layer up to five attributes if they are numeric. If they are text, then you can style if based on only two.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Smart Mapping displays the available renders for the data that you want to map to best visualize your data, depending on how you want to display your data. This table in the help explains what styles are available to the type of features and data types in your feature layer. Check this out to see if any of the available options will meet your needs:

Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ah, that's where that table is! I just overlooked it!

This will tell you what you can/cannot do.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Others have already provided an answer for the question but here is a video to demonstrate how you can use two attributes for symbology: